The province’s plan to address aggressive coyote behaviour is attracting more professional trappers and increasing community safety. Thirty-seven new trappers have joined the pelt-incentive program that operates during the regular trapping season, Oct. 15 to March 31. “The four-part coyote plan was launched two years ago to educate people about aggressive coyotes and to change the behaviour of aggressive coyotes toward people,” said Charlie Parker, Minister of Natural Resources. “We are working to make the province safer for everyone.” The pelt-incentive program is part of a four-part plan to make the province safer from aggressive coyotes by strengthening their fear of humans, changing their behaviour and educating Nova Scotians who come in contact with them. It is not intended to reduce the coyote population over the long term. A total of 403 licensed trappers took part in the program in the 2011-12 season, up from 366 the previous year. At $20 per pelt, $66,800 was paid this year to trappers who harvested and properly prepared 3,340 pelts. “The pelt-incentive program has been successful in attracting 37 more trappers this year, which helps strengthen the coyote population’s negative association with people, making people safer,” said Mike Boudreau, the province’s conflict wildlife biologist. “Trappers must check their traps every day and their presence in the woods and the traps they set send a regular message to the coyote population that humans should be avoided.” The other parts of the plan include providing Nova Scotians with education materials, training 13 trappers to target aggressive coyotes in selected areas when needed, and hiring a wildlife conflict biologist. Since the plan was created, government has released educational materials provincewide, including providing posters, bookmarks, and pamphlets to every elementary school. Provincial staff continue to promote coyote awareness to schools, community groups and media. Government’s priority to reduce human-wildlife conflict and promote safety will continue. The educational materials, are available at www.gov.ns.ca/natr .
NEW DELHI: Delhi Social Welfare Minister Rajendra Pal Gautam on Monday clarified that statue of Dr BR Ambedkar will not be pulled down, as alleged by the Vice Chancellor of Ambedkar University Anu Singh Lather.”We are the believers of Ambedkar. We would rather step down from power than allow such a thing to happen,” said Gautam. The Minister said that the Vice Chancellor of the university is making false statements on the matter and is planning to gherao (encircle) the Delhi Secretariat on June 25. Also Read – Kejriwal ‘denied political clearance’ to attend climate meet in Denmark”For the last 30-35 years, there has been a statue of Dr BR Ambedkar on a piece of land at the Deoli pahadi and an organisation by the name of Dr Ambedkar University used that land to run classes. It has now been allocated for building a hospital and school. But, unfortunately, the VC of the University is spreading misinformation that the Delhi government is trying to pull down the Ambedkar statue,” Gautam added. The AAP leader said that he had conducted an inquiry in the matter and directed the education department and the SDM to ensure that no such statue is pulled down. “This government believes in the values of Babasaheb Ambedkar. A meeting was also conducted with all stakeholders to convey this,” he added.
VANCOUVER – Former foster children in British Columbia will soon have access to a $200,000 fund that will help pay for non-tuition expenses if they can’t afford to attend post-secondary school.The project is launched by the credit union Coast Capital Savings and will cover costs such as rent, utilities, food and transportation.Children’s advocate Mary Ellen Turpel-Lafond has told a news conference that youth who have been in government care deserve the same opportunities as others to attend university or college, but many face financial obstacles.Last year, Turpel-Lafond challenged B.C.’s post-secondary schools to waive tuition fees for former youth in care, and she says Vancouver Island University has done so, while the University of B.C. will begin in September.Children’s Minister Stephanie Cadieux says the government already offers programs to help youth formerly in care get into post-secondary school, but the province can’t take on the task alone and needs support from other organizations.The fund will be managed by the Vancouver Foundation, and is expected to be available to eligible students in the fall. Foster foster kids in B.C. to get access to money for non-tuition fees by The Canadian Press Posted Jan 22, 2014 2:36 pm MDT AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to RedditRedditShare to 電子郵件Email