Four journalist killed since announced withdrawal of U.S. combat forces

first_img RSF_en February 15, 2021 Find out more November 22, 2010 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Four journalist killed since announced withdrawal of U.S. combat forces Follow the news on Iraq to go further Organisation News Iraq : Wave of arrests of journalists covering protests in Iraqi Kurdistan Help by sharing this information Receive email alerts December 28, 2020 Find out more Three jailed reporters charged with “undermining national security” News IraqMiddle East – North Africa The press freedom organization calls for a proper investigation that results in both the perpetrators and instigators being brought to justice. It would be regrettable if this case went unpunished, like 99 per cent of the 230 murders of journalists that have taken place since the U.S.-led invasion in March 2003.Without an exemplary trial, those who murder journalists will continue to sow terror among the media throughout the country. Guaranteeing the safety of civilians, including journalists, who have been particularly exposed to the violence in Iraq since 2003, is a major challenge for the government.Al-Baghdadi was slain by three armed men who arrived at his family’s home in the east Mosul neighbourhood of As-Sadiq at around 6 p.m. and introduced themselves as members of the Iraqi army’s intelligence service.“They said they absolutely had to see Mazen,” the journalist’s father told an Iraqi press freedom NGO (Society to defending press freedom in Iraq). “I went into the house and called Mazen. As soon as he stepped out of the house, they shot him with a pistol.” The gunmen left immediately after fatally shooting Al-Baghdadi in the head.He had worked for Al-Mousiliya for the past seven months, presenting “Mosul fi-l Usbu” (A week in Mosul), “Sabah al-Kheir” (Good Morning) and other programmes. He was the second Al-Mousiliya journalist to be killed this year. A privately-owned station covering the northern province of Ninawa, Al-Mousiliya was created in April 2005.Al-Baghdadi was the sixth journalist to be murdered in Iraq since the start of the year and the fourth since the announced withdrawal of the last U.S. combat forces at the end of August. Tahrir Kadhem Jawad, a cameraman employed by the U.S. Arabic-language TV station Al-Hurra, was killed by a bomb in Jasr Al-Korma, in east Fallujah, as he was about to leave for work on 4 October. The bomb had been placed underneath his car.Safaa Al-Dine Abdul Hameed, the presenter of the Al-Mousiliya programme “Our Mosques,” was gunned down outside his home in Mosul as he was leaving for work on 8 September, just one day after Al-Iraqiya TV news presenter Riad Al-Saray was gunned down outside his home in Baghdad. Reporters Without Borders firmly condemns yesterday’s murder of 18-year-old TV presenter Mazen Mardan Al-Baghdadi in the northern city of Mosul. Al-Baghdadi, who worked for Mosul-based satellite TV station Al-Mousiliya, was gunned down outside his home by men claiming to be military intelligence officers. RSF’s 2020 Round-up: 50 journalists killed, two-thirds in countries “at peace” News December 16, 2020 Find out more IraqMiddle East – North Africa Newslast_img read more

Maldivian blogger Yameen Rasheed stabbed to death

first_imgNews News MaldivesAsia – Pacific Aged 29, Rasheed was an influential critic who posted articles on his website, The Daily Panic, explaining the importance of social justice and drawing attention to governmental incompetence and corruption. He died from his stab wounds in the early hours of 23 April. Rasheed described himself as “disobedient writer” on his Twitter account and said he aimed to cover “the unfiltered truth, the sickening facts, the gruesome details, and – because this is the Maldives – the painfully obvious.”Zaheena Rasheed, a friend who edits the Maldives Independent news website, said he had been getting frequent death threats and had been reporting them to the police. She told media outlets that his murder has fuelled anger towards the police because, although aware of the threats, they did not take the necessary steps to protect him. A critic of both the government and the Islamist movements that are active in Maldives, Rasheed was detained for three weeks in 2015 for taking part in an anti- government demonstration.“We are shocked by the death of Yameen Rasheed, who embodied freedom of information, humanistic thought and democratic values in Maldives,” said Benjamin Ismaïl, the head of RSF’s Asia-Pacific desk. “We urge President Abdulla Yameen’s government to shed light on this appalling crime and to do everything possible to ensure that it does not go unpunished. Any restriction on the resources available to the investigation will be seen as tacit approval by government of the murder of one of its most outspoken critics.”Rasheed’s murder appears to be linked to other free speech violations in Maldives, including other acts of violence against journalists, citizen journalists and bloggers. He waged a personal campaign about Minivan News reporter Ahmed Rilwan’s disappearance in August 2014, often reiterating in posts on his website that the questions raised by Rilwan’s family needed an answer. Despites his repeated insistence and the requests by Rilwan’s family, the police still refuse to provide any information about the state of the investigation into Rilwan’s disappearance, which remains unsolved.Rasheed’s murder recalls the almost fatal attack on journalist and human rights defender Ismail Hilath Rasheed, who was badly stabbed in 2012 after receiving repeated death threats.Maldives is ranked 112th out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2016 World Press Freedom Index. Organisation RSF_en RSF calls for open trial of Maldivian blogger’s accused murderers Reporters Without Borders (RSF) is appalled to learn that the outspoken blogger Yameen Rasheed was stabbed to death in his apartment building in Malé last weekend in an act of barbarity that deprives Maldives of a prominent freethinker and reinforces the offensive against free speech waged by his enemies. MaldivesAsia – Pacific Help by sharing this information photo : maldivesindependent.com July 15, 2020 Find out morecenter_img September 12, 2018 Find out more News to go further RSF seeks press freedom pledges from Maldives presidential candidates News Maldivian president’s comms chief accused of sexually harassing journalist April 25, 2017 – Updated on August 23, 2019 Maldivian blogger Yameen Rasheed stabbed to death Follow the news on Maldives Receive email alerts April 23, 2018 Find out morelast_img read more

BNest welcomes new crop of entrepreneurs eager to make community impact

first_imgPredictions on the future of learning discussed at Limerick Lifelong Learning Festival WhatsApp Billy Lee names strong Limerick side to take on Wicklow in crucial Division 3 clash Advertisement Eamon Ryan, founder of BNest pictured with Tracey Lynch, CEO Tait House Community Enterprise who will be a guest speaker at the launch of the BNest 2018/2019 Social Enterprise Incubator Programme taking place on Wednesday, September 5 at 4pm at the Nexus Innovation Centre at the University of Limerick. Picture: Richard Lynch/ilovelimerick.BNest, the first dedicated Social Enterprise Incubator, is an initiative created specifically to support social entrepreneurs nurture their start-ups, and caters to all types of organisations from charities to businesses with a social conscience.This year will mark the third year of the programme, so on Wednesday, September 5 at 4 pm, BNest will hold the launch of their 2018/2019 Social Enterprise Incubator Programme at the Nexus Innovation Centre at the University of Limerick. Back in September 2016, Nexus Centre UL teamed up with BNest to provide this six-month programme in which emerging social enterprises learn how to get their new organisations off to the best start.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Everyone is welcome to attend the event, as it is a great opportunity to meet those that have been selected to do this year’s BNest incubator programme and also to connect with like-minded passionate individuals who want to make a positive social impact in our local communities. BNest will also announce their line up of events that will be open to the public for their upcoming autumn/winter season.Kasia Zabinska and Eamon Ryan of BNest (centre back) with some of the participants from the 2017-18 BNest social enterprise incubator. This year will mark the third year of the programme and the launch of the BNest 2018/2019 Social Enterprise Incubator Programme will take place on Wednesday, September 5 at 4pm at the Nexus Innovation Centre at the University of Limerick.Event guest speakers Tracey Lynch, CEO of Tait House Community Enterprise and John Evoy, Social Enterprise Development Manager of the Social Innovation Fund and Founder of the Irish Men’s Sheds Association; will share their social enterprise journey.Tracey Lynch runs Tait House Community Enterprise, which is a community development co-operative, whose mission is to generate enterprise, employment, and training opportunities through the provision of services for the people of Limerick.John Evoy set up the Men’s Sheds in 2011 and it now has 420 member sheds with 10,000 participating men each week. John has won a number of awards for his work and for his previous work in men’s well being and social entrepreneurship, including an Irish People of the Year Award in 2015.Eamon Ryan who founded BNest said, “We are the first fully-fledged social incubator in Ireland, and the idea was to create a peer group which shares experiences and helps one another. BNest has been given a home by the University of Limerick, where participants have access to the full facilities of the Nexus Innovation Centre. The venture is being philanthropically funded and participation for the enterprises selected is at no cost to them. In the last two years, 17 organisations have graduated from this BNest programme. We are so excited to welcome this year’s participants and eager to advance the beginning of their journey together.”The launch of the 2018/2019 BNest programme takes place on Wednesday, September 5 at 4 pm at the Nexus Innovation Centre at UL. For more information visit www.bnest.ie or email Kasia Zabinska, BNest Manager at [email protected] WATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads Linkedin Donal Ryan names Limerick Ladies Football team for League opener TAGScommnitylimerickLimerick City and CountyNews NewsCommunityBNest welcomes new crop of entrepreneurs eager to make community impactBy Staff Reporter – August 25, 2018 2676 center_img Facebook Previous articleInternational choreographers for Step Up trilogyNext articleDisused rail lines could become new cycle network Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Print Twitter Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed live Limerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live Emaillast_img read more

Arsenal? Chelsea? Spurs? John Barnes names the ‘best club’ for Philippe Coutinho to join

first_img Comment Advertisement Arsenal? Chelsea? Spurs? John Barnes names the ‘best club’ for Philippe Coutinho to join Barnes thinks Coutinho should move to Arsenal (Picture: Getty)‘I don’t think Tottenham would be interested, as I don’t know if the way that José Mourinho likes to play will suit him, as he likes the ball and having a lot of possession, whereas Mourinho doesn’t necessarily play that way. ‘Arsenal could be the best club with the style of football they play.More: Arsenal FCArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira movesThomas Partey debut? Ian Wright picks his Arsenal starting XI vs Manchester CityArsene Wenger explains why Mikel Arteta is ‘lucky’ to be managing Arsenal‘Chelsea could be another good match, because of the way Frank Lampard sets up his team, so with that in mind, Arsenal or Chelsea would be the best solution for him.  ‘I don’t think he will go to Manchester City to be honest. Pep Guardiola would be able to get the best out of him but there are often times that he has been in a successful team already, and he hasn’t been able to show off as much as he would like.’Would Arsenal be the best fit for Philippe Coutinho?Yes0%No0%Share your resultsShare your resultsTweet your resultsFollow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.For more stories like this, check our sport page. Coutinho is set for a return to the Premier League (Picture: Getty)John Barnes believes Arsenal would be the ‘best club’ for Philippe Coutinho to join this summer, while he also thinks Chelsea would be a ‘good match’.However, he warned the Brazilian against a move to Tottenham Hotspur and Manchester City.Coutinho is free to leave Barcelona this summer after Bayern Munich decided against signing him on permanent basis and has a host of suitors across Europe. The former Liverpool playmaker is thought to be open to a return to the Premier League, but it’s unlikely to be with his former club.ADVERTISEMENTArsenal are thought to be among the favourites to land Coutinho – who scored twice in the Champions League quarter-finals against current club Barcelona – and Barnes suspects that would be the best move for him.AdvertisementAdvertisement‘It is an exciting watch with what is going to happen with Philippe Coutinho this summer, they are many teams that are wanting to sign him,’ Barnes told BonusCodeBets ahead of Bayern’s semi-final clash with Lyon. Metro Sport ReporterWednesday 19 Aug 2020 3:47 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link4.4kShares Advertisementlast_img read more