Charities condemn Presidents Club in wake of FT investigation

first_imgTrade union Unite also called for change, and asked for the Charity Commission to investigate. Its national officer for the not-for-profit sector Siobhan Endean, said:“The events at the Dorchester once again underline why it is imperative that the third party harassment provisions which were axed by the Conservatives from the Equality Act must be immediately reinstated. Their axing has allowed employers to ignore this form of harassment and effectively gives customers a free pass to sexually harass hospitality workers.“Unite also believes that the Charity Commission needs to launch an urgent investigation into the Presidents Club. Unite has members at some of the charities which have received grants from the Presidents Club and who are horrified by the circumstances through which the money was raised.”Superb but deeply disturbing report by @miss_marriage – kudos to @FT for lifting the lid on this rotten culture that still exists in some parts of business community. https://t.co/6VKJjfzgyk— Jo Swinson (@joswinson) January 23, 2018The Presidents Club Charitable Trust was founded 32 years ago to raise money for underprivileged children, and has supported a long list of charities in that time, many of which are listed on its site. It has raised millions for charity with Thursday’s event said to have raised over £2m.It is not alone in holding such fundraising events. A similar event, the Boys Lunch Out event held by The Saskatoon chapter of the service organisation Canadian Progress Club was discontinued late last year in the wake of the #MeToo campaign, with one local hospital foundation, St. Paul’s Hospital Foundation, returning the $25,000 donation it had received from the last event, which had featured women dancing in G-strings.Journalist India Knight confirms that the tone of the London fundraising event was reported on in 2010 but no actions appear to have been taken:From the Independent on Sunday, 24 Jan 2010. “Tucked into the girls”. No one gave a toss, apparently. pic.twitter.com/u0Kxq8m77i— India Knight (@indiaknight) January 24, 2018Ogilvy One Deputy Director Karin Robinson suggests that the story was picked up this time round primarily because it was told by a woman journalist:we’ve read this story before, in various versions, but it wasn’t a KICK ASS piece of journalism until it could be told by a young woman. Diversity in journalism, as in all things, changes the types of stories we can tell. It means important work can get done. Which makes it 5/— Karin Robinson (@karinjr) January 24, 2018The FT’s story is certainly attracting a lot of attention. It received 400,000 page views in 12 hours, and the paywall has been removed to enable more to read it:For those keeping track: Per source, the Presidents Club investigation just passed 700k views making it the most read FT online story ever.— Mark Di Stefano ???????? (@MarkDiStef) January 24, 2018 Charities condemn Presidents Club in wake of FT investigation  182 total views,  2 views today AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to LinkedInLinkedInShare to EmailEmailShare to WhatsAppWhatsAppShare to MessengerMessengerShare to MoreAddThis13 AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to LinkedInLinkedInShare to EmailEmailShare to WhatsAppWhatsAppShare to MessengerMessengerShare to MoreAddThis13 The Presidents Club has come under fire from the sector after an FT investigation into its men-only Charity Dinner revealed sexual harassment of the women hired as hostesses for the night.The black-tie event took place last Thursday at the Dorchester in Mayfair hosted by David Walliams. 360 men from British business, finance and politics were present, attended by 130 hostesses. Financial Times reporter Madison Marriage and a second reporter went undercover as hostesses at the event to investigate. In Marriage’s report in the FT, she reveals how the hostesses were asked to wear short, tight black dresses, matching underwear and high heels, and were propositioned and groped during the course of the evening.SEE ALSO: City event announced to fund charities affected by Presidents Club dinner scandal (26 January 2018)Some of the evening’s auction prizes have also drawn criticism, and included plastic surgery that could be used to ‘add spice to your wife’, and a private night at Soho’s Windmill Club, including a free lapdance. Advertisement We are shocked and appalled at the revelations from the #PresidentsClub. We fully support women’s rights to a safe workplace, particularly when carrying out this work for a charitable organisation. We stand against the abuse of power in all circumstances.— Charity Women (@CharityWomen) January 24, 2018 Read more• This men-only charity gala is a stain on the sector by Daniel Fluskey, Institute of Fundraising• Should charities accept contrition cash from rich but dubious donors? by Beth Breeze, Centre for Philanthropy• #timesup for abusive donor behaviour by Simon Beresford, All We Can• Pity the ‘hostesses’ at this revolting gropefest dressed up as a charity do, by Suzanne More, The Guardian Tagged with: corporate Finance fundraising events politics  181 total views,  1 views today Our reaction to the #PresidentsClub charity fundraising event reported on by @FT last night, from @ncvoliz pic.twitter.com/rXvPO0UAoC— NCVO (@NCVO) January 24, 2018The decision by some charities to return their donations could give rise to a peculiar situation if no other similar charity steps forward to accept the donation(s):So here’s an interesting thing. What if a charity event raises funds which nobody will take? They become like ‘unclaimed assets’ in dormant accounts & eventually get appropriated? #charity #PresidentsClub https://t.co/LLlb6D106V— Caroline Fiennes (@carolinefiennes) January 24, 2018 Call for actionThe event is a reminder for charities to review their acceptance and refusal of donations policies. The Institute of Fundraising has acceptance and refusal of donations guidance on its site and in a statement on the event, Peter Lewis, Peter Lewis, CEO of the Institute of Fundraising directed charities towards the guidance and said:“The behaviour reported in the Financial Times’ undercover investigation today is absolutely unacceptable and has no place in charity fundraising whatsoever. No staff, attendees, or volunteers at fundraising events should ever have to put up with the reported actions that took place at this event. There can be no excuse – no amount of money raised would make this kind of behaviour acceptable.“All fundraising has to be legal, open, honest and respectful and at all times must follow the Code of Fundraising Practice. Every charity should always consider whether to accept or refuse any donations if those donations are from sources not in line with the charity’s values or long-term interests.”Spot on from @danielfluskey on @BBCNews channel – charities exist to make a difference in society, and no amount of money can justify this kind of unacceptable behaviour #PresidentsClub pic.twitter.com/KrGCuXZvmW— Steph Siddall (@stephsiddall) January 24, 2018Beth Upton, CEO of Money Tree Fundraising also commented on the event, calling for action to change the attitudes that lead to the behaviour seen at the dinner, and to stop events like this taking place in the future:She said:“I read the story in the FT last night with increasing dismay and disgust; my heart went out to the women who felt uncomfortable and unsafe during their work. It goes without saying that this is unacceptable, doesn’t it?“But this morning I am left with the sense of futility. Once this outrage dies down will anything actually change? Sure, a couple of charities might tighten up their policies on acceptance and refusal of donations… but systematically, structurally, culturally – when will we see real change and who is meant to lead it? I am sure all of our professional bodies will condemn this activity, will defend “professional” fundraisers as having nothing to do with such activity… but will they do the difficult and hard work of looking to themselves to lead real change that will change attitudes within our sector? I very much hope so!”2) I left immediately after I had finished my presenting on stage at 11.30pm. I did not witness any of the kind of behaviour that allegedly occurred and am absolutely appalled by the reports.— David Walliams (@davidwalliams) January 24, 2018 Melanie May | 24 January 2018 | News In a statement published in the FT’s story, the Presidents Club said that the organisers were appalled by ‘the allegations of bad behaviour at the event’ and that they would be investigated fully with ‘appropriate action taken’. David Meller, a non-executive board member of the Department for Education who helped organise the evening has since stepped down from his Government position.This is a pretty jaw dropping investigation: “Men Only: Inside the charity fundraiser where hostesses are put on show” https://t.co/obiYMbJn62 pic.twitter.com/0ETKFzrqxx— Jane Bradley (@jane__bradley) January 23, 2018 Charity responsesCharities that have benefitted from donations in the past have expressed their disappointment and shock, with some saying they will return funds received.The Bike Project, one of the charities listed as a beneficiary of the event, issued a statement on the Presidents Club event, saying they were shocked and appalled and would not be accepting any further donations from it.Our official statement in response to the reports regarding the Presidents Club pic.twitter.com/uZCdpMsXE0— The Bike Project (@The_BikeProject) January 23, 2018Teenage Cancer Trust, and Great Ormond Street Hospital Children’s Charity also made statements.Teenage Cancer Trust said:“We were disappointed to read about the details of the events hosted by The Presidents Club. We have received donations from the trust in the past, under good faith. As a charity, we are strongly opposed to the activities described in this report and fully support the position taken by the Institute of Fundraising.”Great Ormond Street Hospital Children’s Charity responded:“We are shocked to hear of the behaviour reported at the Presidents Club Charitable Trust fundraising dinner. We would never knowingly accept donations raised in this way.“We have had no involvement in the organisation of this event, nor attended and we were never due to receive any money from it.“All monies raised in our name go to support vital work. However, due to the wholly unacceptable nature of the event we are returning previous donations and will no longer accept gifts from the Presidents Club Charitable Trust.” . @ChtyCommission official statement in response to the #PresidentsClub charity fundraising event reported by @FT last night pic.twitter.com/nthRJ78nMx— Charity Commission (@ChtyCommission) January 24, 2018 Update: 24 January 2017, 17.34BBC News front page at 17.30 on 24 January 2018The BBC reports that “the Presidents Club says it is to close following allegations that hostesses were groped at its men-only annual charity dinner.”It quotes a statement from The Presidents Club that says: “The trustees have decided that the Presidents Club will not host any further fundraising events. Remaining funds will be distributed in an efficient manner to children’s charities and it will then be closed.” About Melanie May Melanie May is a journalist and copywriter specialising in writing both for and about the charity and marketing services sectors since 2001. She can be reached via www.thepurplepim.com.last_img read more

Snow chaos

first_imgTwitter Limerick Artist ‘Willzee’ releases new Music Video – “A Dream of Peace” Advertisement RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR NewsBreaking newsSnow chaosBy Bernie English – January 14, 2015 771 Facebook Limerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live Vanishing Ireland podcast documenting interviews with people over 70’s, looking for volunteers to share their stories Email WhatsAppcenter_img TAGSdrivingfeaturedlimerickroadssnowweather Print SNOW was causing havoc on Limerick’s roads this Wednesday with overnight falls making driving treacherous.The icy conditions are being blamed for a number of early morning incidents. Emergency services were called to a collision on the M7 near the Tipperary exit, where atruck and two cars collided around 7.30am.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up In Barna, just outside Newcastle West had some of the worst conditions, with two trucks having to be abandoned.There was a minor collision involving a truck on the Killarney side of Abbeyfeale around 6am on Wednesday morning. The driver was not seriously injured.A car was involved in a crash around 7am on the road between Boher and Cappamore. There were no serious injuries.Many areas of neighbouring Clare were under a heavy blanket of snow also, making driving conditions treacherous.And the town of Killaloe, Sixmilebridge, Tulla and Lahinch and surrounding areas were with power from late on Tuesday night. There were up to 800 homes affected. Linkedin Predictions on the future of learning discussed at Limerick Lifelong Learning Festival WATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads Previous articleSnow jokeNext articleLimerick to host Gay Games conference Bernie Englishhttp://www.limerickpost.ieBernie English has been working as a journalist in national and local media for more than thirty years. She worked as a staff journalist with the Irish Press and Evening Press before moving to Clare. She has worked as a freelance for all of the national newspaper titles and a staff journalist in Limerick, helping to launch the Limerick edition of The Evening Echo. Bernie was involved in the launch of The Clare People where she was responsible for business and industry news. Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed livelast_img read more

Fed: Household Debt Increases

first_imgHome / Daily Dose / Fed: Household Debt Increases The Week Ahead: Nearing the Forbearance Exit 2 days ago Fed: Household Debt Increases in Daily Dose, Featured, Market Studies, News Tagged with: Household Debt Mortgage Debt New York Fed Student Loans Data Provider Black Knight to Acquire Top of Mind 2 days ago Previous: Comment Period for Amendments to CFPB’s TILA/RESPA Rules Open Until March 16 Next: DS News Webcast: Wednesday 2/18/2015 Demand Propels Home Prices Upward 2 days ago  Print This Post Governmental Measures Target Expanded Access to Affordable Housing 2 days ago Governmental Measures Target Expanded Access to Affordable Housing 2 days ago Data Provider Black Knight to Acquire Top of Mind 2 days ago Tory Barringer began his journalism career in early 2011, working as a writer for the University of Texas at Arlington’s student newspaper before joining the DS News team in 2012. In addition to contributing to DSNews.com, he is also the online editor for DS News’ sister publication, MReport, which focuses on mortgage banking news. Demand Propels Home Prices Upward 2 days agocenter_img The Best Markets For Residential Property Investors 2 days ago February 17, 2015 1,281 Views Sign up for DS News Daily Americans stepped up their borrowing in the fourth quarter, with mortgage activity leading other categories.The Federal Reserve Bank of New York said Tuesday that outstanding household debt increased $117 billion from the third quarter of last year to the fourth, putting total indebtedness at about $11.8 trillion as of the end of 2014.Balances went up across most categories, led by a $39 billion increase in mortgage debt to a total of $8.2 trillion. Student loan debt—a commonly cited obstacle for recent college graduates interested in owning a home—followed closely, increasing $31 billion to a total of $1.2 trillion.As student debt rose, delinquencies worsened, with about 11.3 percent at least 90 days past due compared to 11.1 percent at the end of Q3.”Although we’ve seen an overall improvement in delinquency rates since the Great Recession, the increasing trend in student loan balances and delinquencies is concerning,” said Donghoon Lee, research officer at the New York Fed. “Student loan delinquencies and repayment problems appear to be reducing borrowers’ ability to form their own households.”Mortgage originations, measured as appearances of new mortgage balances and refinance mortgages, increased to $355 billion, still low by historical standards, the New York Fed said.Among other findings: both auto loan and credit card debt also increased, rising $21 billion and $20 billion, respectively. Outstanding debt for home equity lines of credit fell, meanwhile, dropping $2 billion to a total of $510 billion.Meanwhile, the number of credit inquiries within six months—tracked as a gauge of demand for consumer credit—increased by 4 million quarter-over-quarter, reaching 175 million. Related Articles Share Save Subscribe Servicers Navigate the Post-Pandemic World 2 days ago The Best Markets For Residential Property Investors 2 days ago About Author: Tory Barringer Household Debt Mortgage Debt New York Fed Student Loans 2015-02-17 Tory Barringer Servicers Navigate the Post-Pandemic World 2 days agolast_img read more

Pretrial conference set for Decatur County inmate death

first_imgINDIANAPOLIS – A pretrial conference is scheduled for a lawsuit aimed at the Decatur County Sheriff’s Department.M. Shane Satterfield, 38, died in March while serving a two-week sentence for drunken driving.His mother, Lynn Brewsaugh, filed a suit alleging the sheriff and jail staff acted with “callousness or reckless indifference” to the inmate’s failing medical condition.The conference is set for January 28 at the United States District Court for the Southern District of Indiana in Indianapolis, the Greensburg Daily News reports.A recent state inspection found the jail to be understaffed and overcrowded.last_img read more