Reporters Without Borders condemns investigative journalist Liu Wei’s detention for the past 11 days on a charge of “illegally obtaining state secrets” in connection with his coverage of a high-profile corruption case. China: Political commentator sentenced to eight months in prison ChinaAsia – Pacific Organisation China’s Cyber Censorship Figures ChinaAsia – Pacific to go further RSF_en April 27, 2021 Find out more Follow the news on China News October 19, 2015 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Call for investigative journalist’s immediate release Receive email alerts News June 2, 2021 Find out more The deputy editor of Southern Metropolis News (南方都市报), a newspaper based in Guangdong, the 37-year-old Liu Wei (刘伟) was arrested in Chengdu on 8 October while on his way to Beijing to attend a seminar, and taken to Jiangxi province, where he is still being held in Pingxiang.The corruption case involves a controversial master of qigong (a traditional system of exercise and meditation), Communist Party officials, businessmen and celebrities. The charge brought against Liu under article 282 of the 1997 penal codes carries a possible seven-year jail sentence.“We demand the immediate and unconditional release of Liu Wei because, like Gao Yu, he is guilty of nothing more than doing his job in a professional manner and with a sense of duty,” said Benjamin Ismaïl, the head of the Reporters Without Borders Asia-Pacific desk.“President Xi Jinping’s government proclaimed combatting corruption to be one of its priorities but yet again it has shown its authoritarian nature. By using a ‘state secrets’ charge to gag the source of information of public interest, Xi’s party has betrayed its real goal, which is to protect its members and prevent a new blow to its legitimacy.”Ever since the controversial qigong master Wang Lin was arrested in a murder investigation in June, Liu had been published a devastating series of documents provided by Wang’s former wife and a police officer. According to the South China Morning Post, these two sources have been held on the same charge as Liu since September.The official media have said nothing about Liu’s detention and the Communist Party is censoring social networks. But Southern Metropolis News, for which Liu has worked since 2009, issued a statement supporting him on 16 October.The requests for Liu’s release on bail that his wife and lawyer submitted on 10 and 13 October were rejected.Gao Yu, a well-known journalist who was awarded UNESCO’s Guillermo Cano prize in 1997, was sentenced to seven years in prison on 17 April on the same charge of disclosing state secrets. Article 282’s vague wording allows the authorities to define any information as a state secret, even after the event.China is ranked 176th out of 180 counties in the 2015 Reporters Without Borders press freedom index. Democracies need “reciprocity mechanism” to combat propaganda by authoritarian regimes News Help by sharing this information News March 12, 2021 Find out more
Previous Article Next Article The London Ambulance Service is recruiting through the ethnic media in adrive to promote a diverse workforce. The service needs 400 ambulance technicians – staff who go on emergencycall-outs and provide care – and wants to attract people from a diverse rangeof backgrounds. HR director, Wendy Foers, said: “We continue to work to improve patientcare and emergency response times, and to achieve this we need to recruit moreambulance technicians. “We also want to recruit from the diverse population of London toensure our workforce reflects the communities we serve.” Ambulance technicians train for 15 weeks on £16,557, rising to £18,200 aftertraining and to £22,200 after a year’s assessment. www.londonambulance.nhs.uk Comments are closed. London ambulances seek more diverse workforceOn 17 Sep 2002 in Personnel Today Related posts:No related photos.
Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest Recently, members from the Miami East-MVCTC FFA Chapter were challenged to participate in the annual Chapter Corn Contest. The rules of the contest were to bring in one ear of corn and earn a corn-related prize. All participants got a can of soda pop because corn syrup is a major ingredient. Overall winners were presented an FFA T-shirt from the FFA Chapter.A winner is chosen based on the predicted yield of the corn. The grand prize winner was determined by the highest yield estimate, based on plant population per acre. Agriculture Education students in Plant and Animal Sciences took time in class to figure the predicted yield of corn ears as part of their continuing education of agronomy.The overall winner was Paige Pence. Her corn was predicted to yield 312.3 bushels to the acre with a 35,000 seed population per acre. Her corn was a Channel product. Second place went to Kearsten Kirby who presented an ear of corn that is predicted to produce 283.6 bushels per acre with a 30,000 seed population per acre. Third place went to Adam Bensman with an ear of corn predicted to yield 281.6 bushels to the acre with a 36,000 seed population per acre. His was an Ebberts product. Fourth went to Jacob Sweitzer with a predicted yield of 270.7 with a 30,000 seed population per acre. Fifth went to Lauren Wright with a predicted yield of 270.6 bushels to the acre with a 33,000 seed population per acre. Her corn was an AgriGold product.Participants included Elizabeth Bair, Adam Bensman, Abigail Covault, Kearsten Kirby, Paige Pence, Jacob Rife, Jacob Sweitzer, Caleb Taylor, and Lauren Wright.
Coach Cheryl Reeve has always regretted not getting Fowles more involved late in Game 5 a year ago, andthey made sure to force-feed their MVP this time around to close the door. After Parker’s 3 cut Minnesota’s lead to 68-64, Fowles corralled a loose ball and finger-rolled it in just ahead of the shot clock buzzer for a 70-64 lead.The Lynx looked to have things in control when Augustus’s jumper gave them a 79-67 lead that lasted until Jantel Lavender’s layup with 90 seconds to go. But Riquna Williams hit two free throws and Sims had two steals for layups, one of which she converted for a three-point play to pull Los Angeles within 79-76 with 35 seconds to go.But Moore responded with a tough pull-up in the lane and Fowles hit a couple of foul shots to ice it.“We’re not a team and I’m not a person to make excuses,” Sparks coach Brian Agler said. “We just didn’t do what we needed to do to …”A rivalry this tight just had to come down to a Game 5, and Minnesota forced it with an 80-69 victory Sunday in Los Angeles. The Sparks and Lynx went five games last year before Los Angeles won on a last-second put-back from Ogwumike. The previous 12 meetings between these two teams, starting with Game 1 of last year’s finals, had a cumulative score of 908-908.ADVERTISEMENT “I think every time you do this, it gets a little more special because it gets a little harder,” Whalen said. “And more meaningful because you know it’s not easy. It’s not something we try to take for granted ever.”Candace Parker had 19 points, 15 rebounds and five assists for the Sparks, who were looking to become the first repeat champions in 15 years. Chelsea Gray had 15 points and eight assists, but Nneka Ogwumike fouled out with 5:29 to play and finished with 11 points. Los Angeles turned it over 17 times.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutWith a team that had the makings of a new dynasty bearing down on it, the Lynx responded to reassert their own. They have been in the finals in six of the last seven years and now find themselves in the company of Cynthia Cooper, Sheryl Swoopes and the Comets that dominated the league’s early days.“They wanted to take their place next to the Houston Comets,” coach Cheryl Reeve said. “So they did it.”The game the Lynx rule now is bigger, faster and deeper and the proud core of Moore, Rebekkah Brunson, Augustus and Whalen have had to earn everything they’ve accomplished. They led by 12 in the third quarter, but Los Angeles pushed right back, trimming the deficit to four at the start of the fourth. Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games Fire hits houses in Mandaluyong City Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Cavs, 76ers get to see their tantalizing guard combinations MOST READ Nonong Araneta re-elected as PFF president Frontrow holds fun run to raise funds for young cancer patients Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Fire hits houses in Mandaluyong City Odyssey Sims of the Los Angeles Sparks and Lindsay Whalen #13 of the Minnesota Lynx go after a loose ball during the fourth quarter of Game Five of the WNBA Finals on October 4, 2017 at Williams in Minneapolis, Minnesota. The Lynx defeated the Sparks 85-76 to win the championship. NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and or using this Photograph, user is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement. Hannah Foslien/Getty Images/AFPMINNEAPOLIS, Minnesota — Sylvia Fowles had 17 points and broke her own WNBA Finals record by grabbing 20 rebounds to lead the Minnesota Lynx to their fourth championship in seven years with an 85-76 victory over the Los Angeles Sparks in Game 5 on Wednesday.Maya Moore had 18 points and 10 rebounds and hit a huge runner with 26 seconds to play, Lindsay Whalen had 17 points and eight assists and Seimone Augustus added 14 points to help the Lynx move level with the Houston Comets for most titles in league history.ADVERTISEMENT BSP sees higher prices in November, but expects stronger peso, low rice costs to put up fight View comments LOOK: Loisa Andalio, Ronnie Alonte unwind in Amanpulo for 3rd anniversary Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH Read Next LATEST STORIES A capacity crowd packed Williams Arena, turning one of the oldest basketball arenas in the country into a rollicking women’s hoops mecca, reminiscent of Whalen’s days here as a star for the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers. The old “Barn” is filled with obstructed views — seats behind support posts and under awnings that make seeing the court difficult.They were all filled on Wednesday night, and even if they had to crane their necks for the right view, they saw a game as long on turnovers as it was tension. The Lynx turned it over 18 times, but were able to overcome that with 22 points off of the Sparks’ mistakes.
A pair of X-Blades runners for the quickest Male and Female in the X-Blades Run Scoop and Score Race thanks to our friends at X-BladesTo nominate a team please download the attached form. The conditions of entry are also included in the nomination form. Please Note: All participants must complete, sign and return a participant declaration (attached).For more information, please visit Touch Football South Australia’s website – www.touchsa.com.au Related Filescolley_reserve_nomination_form___coe-pdfparticipant_declaration-pdf Nominations for this event are now open and close on Monday, 7 February 2011.This year’s event features a total cash prize pool of $2000 with an additional $1000 in prizes to giveaway on the day including:10 tickets to the 2011 International Rugby Sevens Adelaide for the best dressed team thanks to our partners, SA Rugby Union
Mumbai: Five rescue teams of the Indian Navy have been mobilised to provide assistance to those affected by heavy rains in Maharashtra’s Kolhapur and Sangli districts, an official said on Wednesday. Kolhapur and Sangli have been the worst affected by heavy rains in western Maharashtra in the last few days. Three villages, having around 7,000 people, in Kolhapur were marooned due to the floods, even as over 50,000 people were evacuated from the two districts on Tuesday. Also Read – Uddhav bats for ‘Sena CM’ “In response to the state administration’s request for assistance to local populace affected by heavy rains in the area, five teams of the Western Naval Command have been mobilised,” a defence spokesperson said. The rescue teams were initially planned to be airlifted to the locations, but the adverse weather did not permit helicopter flying, he said. “The teams then proceeded to Pune by road overnight, equipped with rescue gear and rubber inflatable boats, and will be airlifted to the affected areas,” he said. Also Read – Farooq demands unconditional release of all detainees in J&K Five additional flood relief teams of the Navy are being prepared to be airlifted to the affected areas from Mumbai on Wednesday morning, the official further said. Meanwhile, the Goa naval area has also deployed four teams of divers for rescue operations in Kolhapur. The rescue teams, along with diving equipment, were flown from INS Hansa Naval air station at Goa on Wednesday morning for Kolhapur airfield, where they will join the other teams from the Western Naval Command, NDRF and the district collector for coordination of rescue work, the official said. Pune Divisional Commissioner Deepak Mhaisekar on Tuesday said the flood situation in Kolhapur and Sangli was “critical” as several rivers in the region were flowing above the danger mark. “Three villages in Kolhapur with 7,000 people have been cut off completely and efforts are on to evacuate them,” Mhaisekar said. Around 34 out of 103 bridges in Kolhapur have gone under water due to rains in the past few days, he said. “A total of 12,228 families, comprising nearly 53,582 people, in Pune division have been shifted to safer places,” another official earlier said. The administrations of Kolhapur and Sangli have declared a holiday for schools and colleges on Wednesday.
APTN InFocus In this episode we put Bill S-3 In Focus.That’s the legislation currently in front of the Senate that, if passed, will end sex discrimination in the Indian Act.Its aim is to restore full legal status to First Nations women and their children who were not eligible before.When that happens, thousands of people will become eligible for Treaty status.Reporter Todd Lamirande gave us an explanation as to what it means right now, and where the bill still has to go.And Jeannette Corbiere-Lavell came in studio to talk about the very first court case she launched challenging sex discrimination in the Act 47 years ago.Chief Rick O’Bomsawin of Odanak at the Akamaki First Nation in Quebec weighed in on the current court cases.And Donna Partridge joined us from Big Island Lake Cree Nation in Saskatchewan to talk about her struggles in getting her status.It’s a discussion not going away anytime soon, and it’s a discussion worthy of continuing.Subscribe to the APTN InFocus podcast below: