Reprisals against journalists in northwestern Buner valley

first_imgNews to go further Pakistani journalist critical of the military wounded by gunfire Organisation News Receive email alerts News ————-12 juillet 2009:Taliban blow up journalist’s home in Buner valleyReporters Without Borders is extremely worried by Taliban reprisals against journalists in the northwestern Buner valley, where about 60 masked gunmen identifying themselves as Taliban blew up the home of radio journalist Rehman Buneri in the village of Poland on 9 July, three days after he made allegedly “anti-Taliban” comments on the air.“This Taliban attack was cowardly and unacceptable,” Reporters Without Borders said. “We urge Taliban fighters to stop taking reprisals against journalists, who are often the victims of physical attacks and intimidation. We also ask the Pakistani government to guarantee the safety of journalists by reaffirming its military presence in the region.”The gunmen told Buneri’s father: “We have orders to blow up the house because of your son’s criticism of the Taliban.” Based in Karachi, Buneri works for Voice of America’s Pashto-language Deeva Radio. He is also privately-owned Khyber TV’s Karachi bureau chief.“My father said the Taliban arrived at about 2 a.m.,” Buneri told Reporters Without Borders. “They began by reading out loud the charges against me. Then they evacuated all of the members of my family and put explosives around the house.” He added that he had previously received threatening phone calls from an unknown number.The village of Poland is just 15 km from an army-controlled area. The incident took place just a few hours before the government announced that the Taliban had been ousted from the Buner valley and the nearby Swat valley and that the displaced population could begin returning on 13 July. Pakistani TV anchor censored after denouncing violence against journalists April 21, 2021 Find out more PakistanAsia – Pacific July 13, 2009 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Reprisals against journalists in northwestern Buner valley January 28, 2021 Find out more Follow the news on Pakistan Pakistani supreme court acquits main suspect in Daniel Pearl murder RSF_en Help by sharing this information Reporters Without Borders joins the Khyber Union of Journalists in condemning the ransacking and destruction of a leading TV reporter’s house in the northwestern Buner valley by Taliban fighters on 7 July. The house belonged to Behroz Khan, who works for Geo TV in Peshawar.“The militants looted the house, spent several nights in it and finally torched it on 7 July,” Behroz told Reporters Without Borders today.At a joint press conference yesterday, Khyber Union of Journalists president Mohammad Riaz and Peshawar Press Club president Shamim Shahid urged the government to protect journalists from Taliban attacks. “The authorities must take measure to protect journalists, so that they can have confidence in the Pakistani government again, Riaz said.After two months of fierce fighting between the army and the Taliban, the plight of journalists continues to worsen in the Buner valley, where they are being targeted by both sides. A few days before Khan’s house was torched by the Taliban, the army deliberately set fire to a forest he owns, claiming the Taliban were using it as a refuge. Its destruction represents a major financial loss for the reporter.The Buner valley home of radio journalist Rehman Buneri was also destroyed last week by masked gunmen identifying themselves as Taliban. News June 2, 2021 Find out more PakistanAsia – Pacific last_img read more

Paralympic athlete tells court she’s determined to get to Rio

first_imgNewsParalympic athlete tells court she’s determined to get to RioBy Staff Reporter – April 22, 2015 790 Print RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR by Andrew [email protected] up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up AN IRISH paralympic horsewoman says she is determined to make the Rio 2016 games after injuries sustained in a County Limerick car crash forced her to miss the London 2012 Paralympic games.Breda Bernie is 40-year-old Cerebral Palsy sufferer, but could ride a horse at the age of five even before she could take her first steps unassisted.At a sitting of the High Court in Limerick this week, she gave evidence of how she was driving back to Limerick city from dressage training session at a Crecora equestrian arena when her car was written off after a collision with a John Deere tractor and trailer on a narrow road in February 2011.She was at the height of her training with the elite high performance Para Equestrian Ireland squad to reach the Olympic qualifying standards at international dressage events for the London 2012 games when the accident occurred.Ms Bernie, who has represented Ireland at both European and World Championships, described how she had left the stables in Crecora and was returning to Limerick city where she was staying at around 7:45pm on February 25, 2011.Noticing the lights of a vehicle coming towards her, the two time paralympian said she slowed and pulled in as close to the ditch as possible.“Only when the lights came closer did I realise that over half of their vehicle was on my side of the road before it attempted to turn back to its own side.”Ms Bernie described how the subsequent impact with the tractor forced the rear of her car off the road and into the ditch causing over €15,000 worth of damage. The car was written off and she said this left her in shock and with extensive injuries to her neck, back and arm.Ms Bernie said that “there was little or no dialogue” between herself and the tractor driver after he initially asked if she was alright. He also refused to allow her use his phone to contact Gardaí as her own phone was in the boot of her car and couldn’t be accessed.Ms Bernie was initially treated and later referred to her GP. She was subsequently treated by pain and orthopaedic specialists.She missed the first qualifier for London 2012 two months after the accident and her scores at subsequent events failed to improve. despite having ranked at the Irish Paralympic standard before the crash.She was told that she had not been selected shortly before the last qualifier in Germany a number of months later. She continues to have pain despite having regular pain relief injections and is much slower doing things at home.Although still suffering from her injuries, she has since returned to horse riding and told Mr Justice Michael Moriarty that she is “hoping to get to the next Olympics”.“Through determination, I will get to Rio de Janeiro “, she said.In cross examination, Ms Bernie accepted that she had suffered other injuries as a result of a number of falls from her horse at competitions or while hacking, but denied that she had returned to her baseline health status within a few weeks of the accident.Following a brief adjournment on the second day of hearing, Mr Justice Michael Moriarty was told that the case had been settled and costs were awarded to Ms Bernie. Previous articleDirector Liddy returns for Film FestivalNext articlePigtown Fling documentary screening Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie TAGSfeatured Walk in Covid testing available in Limerick from Saturday 10th April Shannondoc operating but only by appointment No vaccines in Limerick yet Advertisementcenter_img Facebook Twitter First Irish death from Coronavirus Linkedin Email Surgeries and clinic cancellations extended WhatsApp Proceedures and appointments cancelled again at UHLlast_img read more