Trojans take MPSF crown with late win

first_imgThe lone skid mark for the No. 2 USC men’s water polo team (26-2, 6-2) this season came in mid-October when the Trojans stumbled in consecutive weeks on the road at Stanford and at home against California. In the words of USC coach Jovan Vavic, complacency had started to set in.Final strike · Freshman driver Nikola Vavic boosted the Trojans to both an MPSF title and a NCAA berth with his overtime goal. – Courtney Sandlin | Daily Trojan “Our desire wasn’t where it needed to be,” said the Trojans’ 16th year head coach.With a guaranteed trip to the NCAA tournament on the line Sunday during the finals of the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation tournament, the Trojans emerged 8-7 winners over the Stanford Cardinal in triple overtime.“Our desire was much greater this time,” Vavic said. “I told the guys that I didn’t do the best job in preparing them for that Stanford game earlier in the year, and in the week leading into this conference tournament, we rested our guys more.”It paid off for the Trojans, as the youthful bunch was forced to play in three games in three days, including Sunday’s thriller which went far past regulation.“We didn’t give them morning practices; the practices were shorter,” Vavic said. “We did some stuff that was relaxing for the guys. It was just a much wider work schedule.”In turn, the Trojans looked fresh in the final moments of a triple-overtime title match with a Cardinal team that had given them trouble in the past. With 1:18 remaining in the fourth quarter, junior two-meter Matt Burton seized an opportunity, putting a five-meter penalty shot past Stanford goalie Brian Pingree to knot the score at five apiece, forcing extra time.However, initially neither team could gain an upper hand in overtime, forcing sudden death, when freshman driver Nikola Vavic recorded yet another timely game-winner, securing the win, MPSF title and automatic NCAA tournament berth.“He’s really playing at a high level and some significant minutes,” Vavic said when asked about his son, who finished with six goals in the three-day tournament. “He’s really stepped up in these games.”But the game that produced a close, contended finish, didn’t start that way.Despite playing in Stanford’s home pool, the Trojans embarked on a strong run early in the first frame, eventually building a 3-1 lead before the Cardinals were eventually able to crawl back and take a one-goal lead of its own at 5-4.“Stanford is a very tough defensive team,” Vavic said. “They scouted us really well. They knew our plan. They had good matchups and they are physical, big and strong. They don’t give up. They really are a much better team than their record shows. They made it tough for us.”But the Trojans, who had already easily disposed of UC Santa Barbara and UCLA 10-5 and 10-2 in the quarterfinals and semifinals, respectively, leaned heavily on their anchor, junior goalie Joel Dennerley when it counted the most in overtime.“In the game against Stanford, Joel was tremendous,” Vavic said.  “It was just really unbelievable.  He probably had his best game of the season.”Dennerley, who finished with 12 saves, was all the more important in overtime. In the first frame of sudden death, the Australian native blocked a shot taken from point-blank range with 54 seconds remaining, which would have given Stanford the win.Instead, the Trojans, not the Cardinals, have begun preparation for this weekend’s NCAA tournament, scheduled to take place in Berkeley, Calif.USC, the No. 1 seed, is scheduled to face No. 4-seeded St. Francis at 1 p.m. on Saturday, where a win would put them in the tournament finals for a sixth consecutive, a NCAA record.“It’s a team loaded with foreign talent,” Vavic said. “They have some very good players, and they can be dangerous. But I do feel we’re in a good position to defend a title.”last_img read more

Police Force donates school supplies to Baramita students

first_imgIn an effort to boost school attendance among children in the North West District community of Baramita, Region One (Barima-Waini), ranks of F Division (Interior Locations) under the command of Senior Superintendent Ravindradat Budhram, donated a quantity of school supplies to a group of underprivileged children.The donation was made as part of the Guyana Police Force’s Social Crime Prevention Programme. According to the Force’s Public Relations Office Ivelaw Whittaker, ranks of the Baramita Police Station in continuing with their community outreach interventions under the programme and during routine visits to the village of Baramita, NWD, discovered that due to a lack of school supplies, some children were not attending school.This situation saw the intervention of the Police Commissioner through the Divisional Commander and on May 4, some 50 children received donations of school supplies, included school uniforms. In addition, 15 of the beneficiaries were placed into school.Ranks of Baramita Police Station along with students from the community who benefited from the donation of school suppliesMeanwhile, in the community of Annai in Region Nine (Upper Takatu-Upper Essequibo) on April 24, a meeting was held between the residents of Annai, Surama, and Wowetta and the Police. During the engagement, a number of topics including domestic violence were discussed and a community policing group was formed in the village.The social crime prevention programme focuses on the empowerment of youths by developing skills and moral values, in order to mould them into productive and meaningful contributors to society and to enhance Police community relations.On the other hand, a Canadian-based Guyanese businessman on Monday donated a professional document laminator to the Guyana Police Force. Dr Roberto Jacgobin has had a working relationship with the Force’s Cops and Faith Community Network. The presentation was made at the Office of the Assistant Commissioner (Administration) at Police Headquarters, Eve Leary, Georgetown.In brief remarks during the presentation, Jacgobin said it was a pleasure for him to be of some assistance to the Guyana Police Force and expressed his readiness to be of further assistance with other initiatives.Additionally, Assistant Commissioner David Ramnarine who received the laminating machine expressed sincere appreciation on behalf of the Police Commissioner and the Force for the piece of equipment, noting that it will assist in the production of identification cards for members of the Force.Also present during the simple presentation ceremony were Senior Superintendent Maxine Graham, Assistant Commissioner (Operations) Christopher Griffith and the Force’s Chaplain, Pastor Patrick Doolichand.last_img read more

Azhar’s son Ayazuddin continues to be critical

first_imgThere is no change in the condition of former cricketer Mohammad Azharuddin’s son. Ayazuddin, who was involved in a road mishap, continued to be very critical on Wednesday.”Mr. Ayazuddin has remained unconscious and his neurological status (following hypoxia due to cardiac arrest prior to arrival at the hospital) continues to be a cause of grave concern,” Dr Hari Prasad, CEO, Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, said.Prasad added, “He is being continuously monitored by a multi-specialty team round the clock. His vital parameters are being maintained with supports and he continues to be on the ventilator. His status remains to be critical.”Ayaz crashed his sports bike on Sunday morning near a toll gate. Both he and his cousin were taken to hospital in an unconscious state. Ajmal was later declared dead.Ayaz is the youngest of the two sons of Azharuddin from his first wife Naureen, whom the latter divorced to marry actor Sangeeta Bijlani.last_img read more

Apple iPhone 2018 launch confirmed for September 12, Apple sends Gather Round invite

first_imgApple on Thursday night confirmed that the new iPhones will be launched on September 12. The company has sent out an invite to media, partners and analysts for the iPhone launch event that it will be holding at its new campus in Cupertino on September 12. The invite, in typical Apple fashion, contains a cryptic phrase – Gather Round – along with an image pf a golden ring, which looks like the power button.It is expected that the new iPhones will be called the iPhone XS, iPhone XS Plus and the iPhone SE2, or Apple may possibly just call them iPhone 2018.In other words, there isn’t much that you can glean from the invite. Although, rumours earlier has indicated that Apple will launch three iPhones this year. One of them will be a direct successor to the iPhone X. Another one will be a Plus variant of this iPhone X successor, while the third one will be an iPhone with large 6.1-inch screen but with a relatively more affordable price tag. The iPhone launch event will be held at Steve Jobs Theatre, which is inside the Apple’s new “spaceship” campus in Cupertino, San Francisco.The event will kick off at 10AM local time, which means in India you will be able to track it from 10.30PM.Currently, it is not clear exactly what Apple is going to announce as part of its iPhone lineup. But there is one consensus among tech journalists and analysts that Apple will launch three iPhones this year, similar to what it had launched last year. But in terms of the composition of these iPhones, there are big changes coming.advertisementThe primary iPhone is going to be called the iPhone XS, with S denoting that this is a successor to the last year’s iPhone X. This will have a steel and glass body and features similar to what you get in the current iPhone X. But additionally it is expected to come packed with a better camera and more powerful processor, which is likely to be the A12. The iPhone XS is likely to come with an OLED screen that measures 5.8 inches.Then there is going to be a Plus variant of the iPhone XS. This is likely to be called the iPhone XS Plus, and will sport a large 6.5-inch OLED screen. But apart the screen size, and battery capacity that is likely to be higher in this phone, the iPhone XS Plus will be similar to the iPhone XS. It will also have a steel and glass body, dual-camera setup on the rear and features like FaceID. Both the iPhone XS and the iPhone XS Plus are expected to come with at least 64GB internal storage and 4GB RAM.The third iPhone is going to be a large phone, packing in a 6.1-inch LCD screen. This phone will have a slightly less premium design relative to the XS iPhones, and it will also come with a relatively more affordable price. While the iPhone XS and the iPhone XS Plus are likely to have prices around $1000, the iPhone 6.1-inch may have a price between $600 and $700.ALSO READ: 3 new iPhones to launch on September 12: Specs, features, design and everything else we know so farApart from the new iPhones, Apple is also expected to launch a new Apple Watch at the event. And in addition to that, if Apple is feeling particularly generous, it may also unveil the rumoured “retina display” MacBook Air on September 12.last_img read more