Paralympic athlete tells court she’s determined to get to Rio

first_imgNewsParalympic athlete tells court she’s determined to get to RioBy Staff Reporter – April 22, 2015 790 Print RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR by Andrew [email protected] up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up AN IRISH paralympic horsewoman says she is determined to make the Rio 2016 games after injuries sustained in a County Limerick car crash forced her to miss the London 2012 Paralympic games.Breda Bernie is 40-year-old Cerebral Palsy sufferer, but could ride a horse at the age of five even before she could take her first steps unassisted.At a sitting of the High Court in Limerick this week, she gave evidence of how she was driving back to Limerick city from dressage training session at a Crecora equestrian arena when her car was written off after a collision with a John Deere tractor and trailer on a narrow road in February 2011.She was at the height of her training with the elite high performance Para Equestrian Ireland squad to reach the Olympic qualifying standards at international dressage events for the London 2012 games when the accident occurred.Ms Bernie, who has represented Ireland at both European and World Championships, described how she had left the stables in Crecora and was returning to Limerick city where she was staying at around 7:45pm on February 25, 2011.Noticing the lights of a vehicle coming towards her, the two time paralympian said she slowed and pulled in as close to the ditch as possible.“Only when the lights came closer did I realise that over half of their vehicle was on my side of the road before it attempted to turn back to its own side.”Ms Bernie described how the subsequent impact with the tractor forced the rear of her car off the road and into the ditch causing over €15,000 worth of damage. The car was written off and she said this left her in shock and with extensive injuries to her neck, back and arm.Ms Bernie said that “there was little or no dialogue” between herself and the tractor driver after he initially asked if she was alright. He also refused to allow her use his phone to contact Gardaí as her own phone was in the boot of her car and couldn’t be accessed.Ms Bernie was initially treated and later referred to her GP. She was subsequently treated by pain and orthopaedic specialists.She missed the first qualifier for London 2012 two months after the accident and her scores at subsequent events failed to improve. despite having ranked at the Irish Paralympic standard before the crash.She was told that she had not been selected shortly before the last qualifier in Germany a number of months later. She continues to have pain despite having regular pain relief injections and is much slower doing things at home.Although still suffering from her injuries, she has since returned to horse riding and told Mr Justice Michael Moriarty that she is “hoping to get to the next Olympics”.“Through determination, I will get to Rio de Janeiro “, she said.In cross examination, Ms Bernie accepted that she had suffered other injuries as a result of a number of falls from her horse at competitions or while hacking, but denied that she had returned to her baseline health status within a few weeks of the accident.Following a brief adjournment on the second day of hearing, Mr Justice Michael Moriarty was told that the case had been settled and costs were awarded to Ms Bernie. Previous articleDirector Liddy returns for Film FestivalNext articlePigtown Fling documentary screening Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie TAGSfeatured Walk in Covid testing available in Limerick from Saturday 10th April Shannondoc operating but only by appointment No vaccines in Limerick yet Advertisementcenter_img Facebook Twitter First Irish death from Coronavirus Linkedin Email Surgeries and clinic cancellations extended WhatsApp Proceedures and appointments cancelled again at UHLlast_img read more

French Open president says Serena Williams won’t be able to wear catsuit

first_img FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailTim Clayton/Corbis via Getty Images(PARIS) — The French Open appears to be sidelining Serena Williams’ famed catsuits, with the tournament’s chief saying they “would no longer be accepted.”The tennis pro, 36, wore the Black Panther-inspired bodysuit earlier in May to mark her return to her first major tournament since giving birth to her daughter last year.But, in an interview with Tennis magazine Thursday, French Open president Bernard Giudicelli said Williams and other players will have to dress more conservatively in future tournaments.According to the U.K. newspaper The Independent, he singled out Williams in an interview today, saying, “I believe we have sometimes gone too far. Serena’s outfit this year, for example, would no longer be accepted. You have to respect the game and the place.”Besides allowing Williams to feel like a queen from Black Panther’s fictional Wakanda, she said the fitted suit was designed to protect her against blood clots. Williams did not immediately respond to a request for comment.After giving birth to Alexis Olympia last September, Williams revealed that she dealt with life-threatening complications related to a pulmonary embolism.At the French Open, Williams told reporters that the suit was more than just a fashion statement.“I had a lot of problems with my blood clots, and, God, I don’t know how many I have had in the past 12 months. So it is definitely a little functionality to it,” she said.“I have been wearing pants in general a lot when I play, so I can keep the blood circulation going,” she added. “It’s a fun suit but it’s also functional, so I can be able to play without any problems.”Williams, who just arrived in New York for the U.S. Open, has not yet commented on Giudicelli’s remarks. But on social media, “French Open” was a trending topic as fans reacted critically to the tournament president’s remarks, calling them misogynistic and even racist. Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved. Written by August 24, 2018 /Sports News – National French Open president says Serena Williams won’t be able to wear catsuitcenter_img Beau Lundlast_img read more

On Compliance: Lessons for credit unions from the USAA-Wells Fargo RDC case

first_img continue reading » ShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr Does $300 million in damages get your attention?That’s the total damages assessed against Wells Fargo by two separate Texas juries in two separate actions brought by USAA. These two actions alleged that Wells Fargo had willfully infringed on USAA’s remote deposit capture technology patents.Since early 2018, many credit unions started receiving demand letters from USAA, claiming that these credit unions’ RDC technology infringed on patents owned by USAA. Sent by a law firm representing USAA, the letters sought fees and licensing agreements for the continued use of the RDC technology by the credit union.The RDC technology most, if not all, of the credit unions were using was being provided through various vendors. Most credit unions immediately reached out to their respective vendors to attempt to resolve the claim. While this is the right approach for a credit union that finds itself in such a predicament, it can also be a time for angst if the credit union has not taken proper care in negotiating the vendor agreement at the inception of the relationship.last_img read more

Australia’s COVID-19 hotspot cases inch up, but officials optimistic

first_imgNew daily coronavirus infections in Australia’s hotspot of Victoria climbed back to double digits on Sunday with 12 cases recorded but authorities said the state is on track to be able to ease its social distancing restrictions in coming weeks.The dozen new coronavirus cases follow eight infections reported on Saturday and single-digit numbers for most of the past week.Melbourne, Victoria’s capital, has been under a strict lockdown for nearly three months. Retail and restaurants operate only on take away or delivery orders only, while people can exercise or socialise outdoors for a maximum of two hours a day and must wear masks in public places. Most restrictions will be eased when the average number of new daily cases over a two-week window falls below five. The 14-day rolling case average for Melbourne has been going steadily down and it is now at 11.9.”We are so, so close,” Victoria Premier Daniel Andrews told a televised briefing.”If we continue these numbers, continue this trend, we are ready to take that step. All things being equal, that will be just a couple of weeks.”With temperatures reaching 28 Celsius (82.4 Fahrenheit) over the weekend, the highest in months, police said they were stepping up patrolling as hundreds of Melbourne residents flocked to beaches..Victoria, Australia’s second-most populous state, accounts for 90% of national COVID-19 deaths. Australia, with 894 fatalities, has fared far better than many other developed countries.Australia has had just over 27,000 infections, according to health ministry data.Topics :last_img read more