The Bus Riders Union asked a federal judge on Wednesday to extend a decade-old consent decree against the MTA for five more years, claiming the transit agency has failed to do enough to ease crowding on buses. In a statement, the BRU said 95 percent of the bus routes it monitored had an average of eight riders standing, in violation of the consent decree. But Metropolitan Transportation Authority officials say their surveys show they are in compliance 98 percent of the time. “We believe we are in full compliance with the consent decree,” said MTA spokesman Marc Littman. “The BRU can say whatever it wants, but the fact is that we have spent $1 billion to improve services.” AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORE11 theater productions to see in Southern California this week, Dec. 27-Jan. 2Over the last decade, the agency has added more than 2,000 buses and kept bus rider fares low. But the BRU maintains that these services and fares are in danger as fiscal woes mount and the MTA looks for ways to close a $112 million budget deficit. “We are concerned that this sets up the conditions for MTA to claim the only way to balance the budget in the future is to make bus riders pay with service cuts and fare increases,” the BRU statement said. The BRU is asking the court to extend the consent decree until 2011. Currently, there is no one monitoring compliance issues. Special master Donald Bliss resigned earlier this year, and the federal judge overseeing the case declined to appoint a replacement. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!