POPULAR FIGURE In his time at Kent, Adams became a popular figure and club chairman, George Kennedy, hailed the former Test batsman’s contribution. “We thank Jimmy for his fine service of the club and wish him all the best for the future,” Kennedy said. “His commitment to developing Kentish cricket talent is shown by the core of homegrown players now at the heart of our professional squad.” Adams led West Indies in 15 Tests, winning four, losing eight and drawing three. As a left-hander, he made 3,012 runs at an average of 41, with six hundreds. LONDON (CMC): Jamaican Jimmy Adams has quit as head coach of English County Kent after five years in charge, further fuelling speculation he will take over the vacant role as West Indies head coach. Only last month, the 48-year-old former West Indies captain was linked to the post after Trinidadian Phil Simmons was suddenly sacked by the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB), on the eve of the ongoing tour of Pakistan. Simmons spent a turbulent 18 months in charge of the Caribbean side, during which time he oversaw the capture of the Twenty20 World Cup in India last April. Adams, who played 54 Tests for West Indies between 1992 and 2001, took over the reins at Kent ahead of the 2012 season and led them to a third place finish in Division Two that year. He enjoyed perhaps his best season in the south-east in the recently concluded campaign when Kent finished second, narrowly missing out promotion. “I’ve enjoyed my time at Kent, which has been a great learning experience for me. I wanted to be involved in a club that was seeking to grow, and I am fortunate to have found that here at Kent over the past five seasons,” Adams said. “It’s been a delight being involved with all our players as they have developed during the period, and especially watching the younger players who have made the step up to first class level.” He continued: “Working with the club to develop a stronger support team to back up our players has also been a highlight for me. “I’m extremely grateful for the members and supporters who have consistently backed me, the team and the club’s overall vision.”
Liverpool bounces back with 3-0 win at Huddersfield View comments Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Newsome sets focus on helping Bolts open new PBA season on right track Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Wall was selected by NBA coaches as an all-star reserve and selected by Cleveland’s James in the talent draft to fill out rosters for his squad and a team led by Golden State star Stephen Curry.But Wall, expected to miss up to six weeks after treatment for a left knee injury, will be unable to play. When an all-star is sidelined, the commissioner selects a replacement from the same conference as the lost player.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkDrummond is averaging an NBA-best and career-high 15.1 rebounds a game as well as 14.7 points, 1.37 blocked shots and career highs of 3.8 assists and 1.54 steals. The six-year NBA veteran has 176 assists this season, 19 more than in his previous two campaigns combined.Drummond had the most votes from coaches for an all-star reserve spot among Eastern Conference players who weren’t selected. Andre Drummond #0 of the Detroit Pistons rebounds between Robin Lopez #42 (L) and Justin Holiday #7 of the Chicago Bulls at the United Center on January 13, 2018 in Chicago, Illinois. Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images/AFPDetroit Pistons centre Andre Drummond was named Tuesday to replace injured Washington Wizards guard John Wall on the Team LeBron James’ squad for next month’s NBA All-Star Game in Los Angeles.NBA commissioner Adam Silver selected Drummond for the February 18 contest. It will be his second all-star appearance, having previously represented the Pistons in 2016.ADVERTISEMENT Almazan vows to comeback stronger after finals heartbreak Nonito Donaire vs Naoya Inoue is BWAA 2019 Fight of the Year OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ’a duplicitous move’ – Lacson Michael Porter Jr. stays patient as playing time increases OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ’a duplicitous move’ – Lacson MOST READ Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina LATEST STORIES Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours
Social Protection Minister Amna AllySeveral hinterland communities continue to suffer from the lack of safe and adequate water supply, but the Government continues to make empty promises to citizens.Residents of Region Eight have reached out to Guyana Times to vent their frustration at not accessing potable water, while claiming that the river is contaminated due to unsafe mining practices. The river, they stated, was the main source of water for persons residing there.Ricardo Phillips, who spoke to this publication, related that residents have been forced to cease using the river water, since it is heavily contaminated and poses a danger to lives.He explained that, just recently, a relative of his had to seek medical attention because he had fallen ill after using the said river water.“We had to stop using the river after my cousin got sick. His entire body broke out with rash, and he started to vomit. The water full of mercury from all the mining that going on here. It’s unsafe mining, and everything ending up back right in the river, which we, the residents of this area, have to use. We depend on the rain for water. If rain don’t fall, we have no water,” he said.Sandra La Cruz believes that clean and healthy water is a basic necessity, and should be easily accessible to all citizens. “Water should not be a luxury. We all need to be able to access water easily for consumption. It’s a basic need, man; and we are tired of being promised and fooled. We see the Government visiting all regions promising this and promising that, and nothing is actually being delivered. They need to do better,” she stated.Similar issues were recently raised by residents of Region One (Barima- Waini) after the Guyana Water Inc had prohibited the use of the river there because it was heavily contaminated. A temporary water supply was provided, but this was not nearly adequate to supply residents of those villages, as the water supply was at a centralised point and residents from far-flung areas were forced to foot several miles for access.As Government took its outreach to Region Two (Pomeroon–Supenaam) on Wednesday, Social Protection Minister Amna Ally yet made promises to residents there that their water supply would be “vastly improved.” She spoke to residents of Lima Sands in response to concerns raised for the need for improved water supply in the region. Minister Ally assured the residents that their concerns have been noted, and she committed to having them addressed by the relevant agencies.“This is not a community we have forgotten; it is a community where we have done work, including (constructing) a new bridge and a multi-purpose building, which was done through the Sustainable Livelihood and Entrepreneurial Development (SLED) programme under my ministry. In this region, there has been improved drainage, much needed upgrade was done on the road to Red Luck, Anna Regina road and Sparta, among others. These developments will definitely continue and advance, once this Government remains in office,” Minister Ally explained.
An accident along the Amelia’s Ward Public Road on Tuesday claimed the life of a 28-year-old Linden, Region 10 (Upper Demerara-Berbice) woman.Dead is Toushanna Frank, of Central Amelia’s Ward, Mackenzie, Linden.Dead: Toushanna FrankReports are at about 01:45h, the now dead woman was in a motorcar bearing registration plates PSS 6725, which was being driven by her 51-year-old mother, Paula Jennifer Taylor, when the car collided with a minibus with registration plates BTT 766. The 51-year-old vendor was rushed to the Linden Hospital Complex (LHC) but was subsequently transferred to the Georgetown Public Hospital (GPHC) where she remains in a critical condition. At the time of the accident, the dead woman’s children – Delicia Chan, 10, and Darnelle Frank, four – were also in the car. The children, however, escaped with minor injuries but their mother was pronounced dead.According to the Police, the motorcar driven by Taylor was proceeding North along the Amelia’s Ward Public Road, when she lost control and collided with the minibus, which was heading South at the time. The bus was being driven byThe badly damaged minibusRoyston Telford, 57, of Industrial Area, Mackenzie, Linden. Upon learning of the accident, relatives and friends took to Frank’s Facebook page to express their grief. She leaves to mourn her two children. The accident occurred at the same location where 10 persons from Linden were killed in a similar manner in 2007. (Utamu Belle)
Zlatan Ibrahimovic transfer rumours 1 Zlatan Ibrahimovic is reportedly available for a cut-price fee this month, with Arsenal and Manchester United linked with a move for the Paris Saint-Germain striker.The Swede is one of football’s biggest biggest stars, having won titles in Holland, Italy, Spain and France with some of the biggest clubs in Europe, but the Premier League remains an unconquered frontier for Ibrahimovic.So what’s being said on social media about his potential move to the Premier League?Take a look at some of the best comments…
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREChargers go winless in AFC West with season-ending loss in Kansas CityIn statements Friday, each side accused the other of intransigence and expressed frustration at the sluggish pace of negotiations. The writers’ contract expires Oct. 31. Studios and TV networks have accelerated filming of shows and movies and begun stockpiling scripts in case of a strike. The last strike in 1988 lasted 22 weeks, and losses to the industry were put at $500million. The sticking points include a proposal to delay paying residuals on movies and TV shows until producers have recouped their costs, guild negotiators said. The guild also is proposing doubling payments on profits made from DVD sales and providing union pay and benefits to writers working in reality television and on basic cable shows. The two sides also remain far apart when it comes to setting pay for reality TV shows, and for work distributed online and to portable devices such as cell phones. The studios say they need time to determine which models of digital distribution are likely to be profitable. “We have had six across-the-table sessions and have been met with only silence and stonewalling,” said J. Nicholas Counter III, president of the motion picture alliance. “The WGA leadership is hidebound to strike. We are farther apart today than when we started, and the only outcome we see is a disaster,” he said. The writers decried the plan for residual payments. “Our members will not stand for that,” the guild said. “The entertainment industry is successful and growing like never before. Writers, whose creativity is at the heart of that success and growth, are committed to sharing in it.”160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! CONTRACTS: The sluggish pace has led TV studios to begin preparing for a strike. By The Associated Press Talks between Hollywood writers and studios abruptly broke off for the weekend, dimming hopes of averting a strike that could cripple the television industry. The Writers Guild of America has been in talks since July with studios represented by the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers. Negotiations lasted only about an hour on Friday and were not scheduled to resume until Tuesday.
The last of the corncrakesDONEGAL’S Islands have become the last bastion of the corncrake, shock new figures show.The number of birds identified have dropped nationally to just 183 – 86 of them are on Donegal’s islands, 43 of them on Inishbofin and Inishdooey.They have disappeared completely from Co Sligo. It is also the first time they haven’t been heard in the Shannon Callows. The Government spent more than €175,000 giving money to farmers to allow their lands to remain unharvested and clear for the corncrake.According to the June survey, the iconic Irish bird is now only found in Donegal, Mayo and the Connemara Islands.Those behind the survey – the National Parks and Wildlife Service – say they are not overly concerned with the apparent drop of 20 per cent in numbers; there were 220 birds last year.They believe the birds just may not have been calling during the survey. However the bird in Ireland remains under serious threat. Despite this it is not classified as being close to extinction because of the large numbers of the birds recorded in other parts of Europe and Russia. REVEALED: DONEGAL ISLANDS THE LAST BASTION OF THE IRISH CORNCRAKE was last modified: November 10th, 2015 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Corncrakedonegal
COUNTY stars Rory Kavanagh and Kevin Rafferty brought the Anglo-Celt to training for the St Eunan’s girls GAA teams this evening.The Christmas surprise was organised at the girls mid-week skills club at Loreto. ST EUNAN’S GIRLS GET THEIR HANDS ON THE ANGLO-CELT was last modified: December 14th, 2011 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:ST EUNAN’S GIRLS GET THEIR HANDS ON THE ANGLO-CELT
Kilcar GAA NotesSeniorsÁdh mór leis an bhfoireann Sinsear Cill Chartha atá ag taisteal go Mhaigh Cuilinn an deireadh seachtaine so le páirt a ghlacadh sa Comórtas Peile na Gaeltachta. Turas sábháilte do gach duine atá ag taisteal chun tacú leis an bhfoireann, Cill na Martra v Cill Chartha ag 2:30 De Sathairn. Ulster ChampionshipWell done to the Donegal senior and minor teams on their victories over Derry in the 2014 Ulster Championship matches against Derry last Sunday.UnderageCongratulations to our fantastic under 14 boys on becoming County League Division 2 Champions on Friday night after beating Letterkenny Gaels on a final score of Chill Chartha 4-08 Letterkenny Gaels 3-09.ReportCill Chartha just shaded the under 14 Division 2 League County Final in an exciting encounter against Letterkenny Gaels in Tirconaill Park Donegal town on Friday night, with Letterkenny Gaels leading throughout a goal two minutes form time from Oran Doogan gave Cill Chartha the edge. Letterkenny Gaels started the brightest and raced into a 2-03 to 0-02 lead. Goals coming from Gabriel Aduaka and captain Mickey Sweeney, but Cill Chartha hit back with a brace of goals also coming from Cealan Curran and Ryan O’Donnell on the stroke of half time to leave the Gaels leading 2-05 to 2-02 at the break.Cill Chartha started the brighter in the second period with a goal from Kenny Doogan but the Gaels struck back with a goal of their own from full forward Ross Marley. Letterkenny Gael’s continued to dominate with some fine scores coming from Diarmuid Cathill with Oran Doogan keeping Cill Chartha in touch until Doogan hit the decisive score with two minutes left on the clock as he rattled the Letterkenny Gaels net to put Cill Chartha a point up going into injury time. The Gaels pilled on the pressure it was a final free from Oran Doogan that sealed victory for the boy’s from the Southwest. Letterkenny Gael’s were unlucky on the day had top performances from Ross Marley, Mickey Sweeney, Diarmuid Cahill and Gabriel Aduaka. For the winner’s Oran Doogan, Kenny Doogan, Cormac O’Leime & Ryan O’Donnell were most impressive for Cill Chartha.Final score Cill Chartha 4-08 Letterkenny Gael’s 3-09Team’sCill Chartha: C. Garvey, P Love, D O’Gara, E Byrne, R Mc Shane, K Doogan 1-1, R O’Donnell 1-0, O Doogan 1-5, C O’Leime, S McHugh, J Byrne, E Cormack, D Rowan 0-1, C Curran 1-0, S Boyle.Letterkenny Gaels: B Carr, Niall Diver, B Melaugh, C Doherty, T Cassidy, C Farrell, C Cullen, M Sweeney 1-1, D Cahill 0-5, K Margey, K Patton, G Aduaka 1-0, C Kilfeather, R Marley 1-3, R Frain LottoThere was no winner of the Club Lotto Jackpot so next week’s Jackpot is €5,500 this week’s numbers were 4, 21, 23 and 30 winners were: €50 Donna Rush c/o Margaret Campbell, €30 Conor McShane and €20 John Francis Doogan. Lotto Plus numbers 4, 8, 15 and 29 there was no winner.BingoClub Bingo winners: €150 Eithne Boyle, €140 Mary Boyle, €115 Teresa Dolan, €110 Goretta Kennedy, €80 Mary Gallagher, €70 Máire McShane, Maria Boyle, Patricia Cunningham, Brid Campbell and Delia Hegarty. The Jackpot next week is €2,050 on 45 numbers.For the latest news visit our website www.kilcarcargaa.com you can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter at facebook.com/CillCharthaGAA and @KilcarGAAWeb: www.clgchillchartha.comFB: www.facebook.com/cillcharthagaaTwitter: www.twitter.com/kilcargaaGAA NEWS: KILCAR U14’S CROWNED COUNTY LEAGUE DIVISION TWO CHAMPIONS was last modified: May 27th, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:GAAkilcarNoticesSport
A SPECIAL quiz to raise money for the victims of the Philippine Typhoon disaster is being held tonight at Arena 7.At least 10,000 people have died, 660,000 have lost their homes and several million more have been displaced by the disaster.You can do your bit to help. The table quiz is at Arena 7 this evening, starting at 9.30pm.All proceeds are in aid of Philippine Typhoon Disaster victims.There will be loads of prizes on offer. ARENA 7 QUIZ TONIGHT TO HELP TYPHOON VICTIMS was last modified: November 14th, 2013 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:ARENA 7 QUIZ TONIGHT TO HELP TYPHOON VICTIMS