Guyana opposition questions cost of New York trip

first_img Sharing is caring! 10 Views   no discussions (L-R): Donald Ramotar and Bharrat JagdeoGEORGETOWN, Guyana — According to reports from Queens, New York, Guyana’s President Bharrat Jagdeo and People’s Progressive Party Civic (PPPC) presidential candidate Donald Ramotar will travel there to address Guyanese nationals.The reports state that they were invited by the Association of Concerned Guyanese, a overseas-based PPPC organisation, to speak at a meeting on Friday, April 29.Meanwhile, the Alliance for Change (AFC) said that the PPPC is using state funds for electioneering and the main opposition party, the People’s National Congress Reform (PNCR), has called on the Guyana Election Commission (GECOM) to referee the use of resources to ensure fairness and impartiality.AFC presidential candidate, Khemraj Ramjattan, said that he was certain that state funds would be used to cover the costs.Ever since Ramotar was chosen as the presidential candidate for the governing party, Jagdeo has been touring different parts of the country with Ramotar, shoring up the candidate’s profile, emphasising that he was a graduate from the University of Guyana with a degree in economics and has vast political experience.The president and Ramotar have visited Essequibo islands, Essequibo coast, West Demerara, and East Berbice.by Global News Staff Caribbean News Now NewsRegional Guyana opposition questions cost of New York trip by: – April 25, 2011 Tweetcenter_img Share Share Sharelast_img read more

Real Madrid renew interest in Victor Osimhen

first_imgReal Madrid are rivaling Manchester United for Nigeria and Lille striker, Victor Osimhen. Lille would be prepared to sell this summer if offers exceeding the €80m Arsenal paid for Nicolas Pepe 12 months ago arrive. LOSC president Gerard Lopez stated earlier this season: “Osimhen will be in Lille next season. Afterwards, there are factors I cannot control, such as the fact that a club comes and offers a salary that is six or eight times more than we can offer. Read Also:Man Utd join race for Victor Osimhen “But I think it is sometimes better not to take a high salary and wait for the next season.” FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Loading… It emerged over the weekend that United have added Osimhen to their summer shopping list. United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is seeking fresh goalscoring power and has turned to young Nigerian Osimhen. But he is also on Real’s radar, where the striker has been mentioned as a potential successor for veteran striker Karim Benzema.Advertisement Promoted ContentTop 7 Best Car Manufacturers Of All Time6 Stunning Bridges You’ll Want To See With Your Own EyesBirds Enjoy Living In A Gallery Space Created For Them7 Netflix Shows Cancelled Because They Don’t Get The Ratings13 kids at weddings who just don’t give a hoot10 Risky Jobs Some Women DoThe Great Wall Of China: The Hidden StoryWhat Women Find The Most Attractive In Men From The 60-sWhat Happens To Your Brain When You Play Too Much Video Games?Who Is The Most Powerful Woman On Earth?7 Non-Obvious Things That Damage Your Phone6 Most Unforgettable Bridges In The Worldlast_img read more

‘Drug queen’ sneaks out of PH

first_imgOf 16 “ninja policemen” who areallegedly in cahoots with the drug queen, 9 were killed in separate operationsand one is detained, said Eleazar. The police is building cases against 6 ofher other cohorts, including 2 retired policemen, 2 who were dismissed fromservice and 2 other who went on absence without leave, he added. The drug queen served for “manyyears” as a barangay chairman and won a fresh mandate in last year’selections but failed to take her oath of office, according to National Capital Regiontop cop Major General Guillermo Eleazar. For example, drug sweeps can only bedone by the Anti-Illegal Drugs Unit, whose members undergo vetting aftergetting the recommendation of unit commanders, who can then be removed fromtheir posts with just one offense of a subordinate, he said. (With ABS-CBN News/PN) “Ngayonang balita natin, out of the country [nasiya]… Wala man s’ya ngayon e iyongmga galamay niya, ipa-paralyze natinpara wala na s’yang magagawa at eventually, magkakaroon din po ng tamang araw para sa kaniya,” Eleazar toldradio DZMM on Wednesday. Her husband was also a former barangaychairman while her sibling and cousin are police officers, he said. “Safeguards” were also put in place toprevent the recycling of busted drugs, Eleazar said.center_img The Bureau of Immigration said thealleged drug queen, who was identified as Guia Gomez Castro, left the countrylast Saturday. MANILA – A “drug queen” whoallegedly buys and redistributes narcotics seized in government operations hasleft the country, the police authorities here said. The Bureau of Immigration says the alleged drug queen, who was identified as Guia Gomez Castro, left the country on Sept 21. UNTV “As per travel records, she indeedrecently left the country but with no derogatory records, hence she was allowedto depart,” Immigration bureau spokesperson Dana Sandoval said.last_img read more

Ivy Tech Gets Grant For I.T. Career Training

first_imgINDIANAPOLIS – Ivy Tech Community College is receiving $2.5 million in grants to improve career training programs in the informational technology and informatics industry.The school is one of 270 community colleges across the nation receiving $450 million in job-driven training federal grants.The funding will assist in establishing and expanding IT dedicated labs across 24 Ivy Tech campuses, establishing and expanding 10 to 12 data centers critical for training students majoring in Network Infrastructure and Server Administration, expanding a virtual data lab center accessible by distance education, providing professional development for IT faculty, creating a virtual IT defined career pathway advising system, and recruiting participants in collaboration with workforce partners.The School of Computing and Informatics at Ivy Tech anticipates more than 4,000 students completing one or more credentials and placed in jobs or advancing in employment during the grant period.Information technology is a growing industry in Indiana, however many Hoosiers remain unemployed, displaced, or need jobs upon returning from military service. Building on the current strength and projected growth of Indiana’s IT industry, this grant will prepare students for high-wage, high-growth careers in IT.The college says it will work with employers, economic developers, state and regional IT industry advisory boards, and chambers of commerce to review curriculum while placing students in internships that could lead to jobs after graduation.last_img read more

Mueller breaks UCL record, beats Lewandowski, Messi to MVP award

first_img Read Also: Barca chiefs in talks with Pochettino after Setien sack decision He also netted three goals over two legs against Barcelona seven years ago when Bayern romped to a 4-0 win in Munich and 3-0 away in the semi-finals on the way to winning the 2013 Champions League title. After creating a record 21 assists in the Bundesliga last season – many of them finished by Lewandowski – Mueller outshone the Champions League’s top-scorer this season in Lisbon with two superb first-half goals. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 The 30-year-old Mueller capped an outstanding display by passing Philipp Lahm’s record to become the German with the most Champions League appearances on 113 games alongside the MVP of the match. In the build up, there had been fierce debate as to whether Lewandowski or Messi is the better player. Thomas Mueller claimed a Champions League record Friday night after stealing the limelight from Robert Lewandowski and Lionel Messi as Bayern Munich routed Barcelona in their Champions League quarter-final Mueller netted twice in Lisbon as Barcelona conceded four goals in the first-half of a Champions League game for the first time as Bayern went 4-1 up at half-time. Substitute Philippe Coutinho also scored twice in Bayern’s 8-2 hammering. However, it was Mueller who stole the show, underlining his status as Barcelona’s nemesis with six goals in five games against the Spanish giants. Mueller scored against Barcelona when Bayern bowed out in the Champions League semi-finals in 2014/15.center_img Promoted ContentSome Impressive And Almost Shocking Robots That ExistWho Is The Most Powerful Woman On Earth?Unusual And Unique Beauty Of Indian WomenCouples Who Celebrated Their Union In A Unique, Unforgettable Way11 Most Immersive Game To Play On Your Table Top7 Things That Actually Ruin Your PhoneBirds Enjoy Living In A Gallery Space Created For Them7 Of The Wealthiest Universities In The World7 Black Hole Facts That Will Change Your View Of The Universe5 Of The World’s Most Unique Theme Parks18 Beautiful Cities That Are Tourist Magnets5 Of The World’s Most Unique Theme Parks Loading… last_img read more

Alcaraz signs for Everton

first_img Last season was a difficult one for the defender as a groin injury sustained on international duty ruled him out for six months from late August. However, after passing a medical he was able to finalise a move which has been a couple of weeks in the negotiating after securing a work permit. Martinez has said previously if Alcaraz had been fit for the majority of the season Wigan would not have been relegated. Of the 14 appearances he made last year, six resulted in clean sheets, including a particularly commanding performance at Goodison Park as Wigan knocked Everton out of the FA Cup at the quarter-final stage. The 30-year-old Paraguay international, a free agent after his contract with the relegated Latics expired, has agreed a two-year deal the club have confirmed. Alcaraz follows Martinez and striker Arouna Kone, who signed for three years on Monday, in leaving the DW Stadium for Goodison Park. Press Associationcenter_img New Everton manager Roberto Martinez has been reunited with his second former Wigan player in as many days after defender Antolin Alcaraz signed for the Toffees.last_img read more

Helenius loaned out to Aalborg

first_imgAston Villa striker Nicklas Helenius has returned to Aalborg on a season-long loan deal, the Barclays Premier League club have announced. Helenius has struggled to make an impact since joining Villa from the Danish outfit last summer, making just six appearances – each of which were as a substitute – in all competitions. The 23-year-old Denmark international scored once during those games, netting in the 2-1 home FA Cup loss to Sheffield United in January, which also happened to be his last outing in Villa colours. Press Associationlast_img read more

Wollscheid staying at Stoke

first_img The 26 year old has made 14 appearances for the Potters since joining in January. Stoke announced Wollscheid has signed a three-year deal after the club paid an undisclosed fee to Leverkusen. Stoke have exercised their right to buy defender Philipp Wollscheid from Bayer Leverkusen after a successful loan deal. Stoke chief executive Tony Scholes said on the club’s website: “We’re delighted to have secured Philipp’s services on a permanent basis. He joined us midway through the season but wasted little time in making a big impression. “Within days of arriving in England he made his debut against Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium and went on to become an important member of Mark’s squad. “He’s clearly enjoying life in England; he feels very settled here and had no hesitation in committing his long-term future to Stoke City.” According to reports, Stoke have paid around £2.75million for the defender, who has been capped twice by Germany. center_img Press Associationlast_img read more

FIBA Centrobasket U-17 Championship team departs today

first_imgGuyana to open tournament against Bahamas tomorrow GUYANA’S team to this year’s FIBA Centrobasket U-17 tournament will depart these shores today for the Dominican Republic, where they compete in the eight-team tournament from July 26 to 30.Drawn in Group ‘A’ of the tournament, that features Bahamas, Dominican Republic, Guyana, Jamaica, Mexico, Panama, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands, the Lugard Mohan-coached team will bounce into action on opening day.The Guyanese side will open their campaign against the Bahamas on July 26 at 13:00hrs, followed by a clash with Puerto Rico on Thursday, July 27, and then close off their group-play against Mexico on July 28.Teams will play in round-robin format for three days, after which, the top two teams from each group will advance to the next phase, where the first-place team of Group A will oppose the second-place in Group B and vice versa.The winners of the semi-finals will advance to the ‘gold medal match’, while the losers will play for the bronze of the continental event.The top three teams from the tournament will qualify to the FIBA U-18 Americas Championship 2018, to be played in St Catharines, Canada, June 11-17, 2018.Nigel Bowen, Tramine Brown, Kelmar Carmichael, Akeem Crandon, Shamar France, Roydon Glasgow, Jether Harris, Andrew Johnson, Jermaine King, Kevon Wiggins, Anthony Yanson and Jahleel Young are members of Team Guyana, with Mohan being assisted by US-based Kenneth Avent on his coaching staff.Meanwhile, Mohan said that while he’s optimistic of a good showing at the championship, he’s peeved at not having the services of one of his best players Jordan Alphonso.Alphonso was the ‘backbone’ of the team that finished second at the CBC U-16 tournament when the event was hosted in Guyana last year.The former Marian Academy student, before returning to the U.S., was considered the best youth player in Guyana, and played a significant role in the team’s success.Mohan in a recent interview told Chronicle Sport that “the best player is not available, so instead of going there with our strength, we’re weakened, but, we still have to compete and, like I said, I’ll do everything to ensure that the guys maximise their potential.”The Guyana Amateur Basketball Federation (GABF) stated that they expect the high level of basketball competition in the Dominican Republic will expose the players to the intense training required to succeed at the international level.last_img read more

RHTY&SC cricket teams assist two West Berbice counterparts

first_imgTHE 10 cricket teams of the Rose Hall Town Youth & Sports Club (RHTY&SC) MS last Sunday continued their personal development programme with donation to two of their counterparts in Region 5.The teams, Poonai Pharmacy Under-12 and Under-13, Farfan & Mendes Under-15, Bakewell Under-17 and Second Division Pepsi Under-19 and Intermediate, Metro Female, Gizmos & Gadgets Under-21 and First Division, handed over the donations of educational materials, kites and white cricket shirts to D’Edward Cricket Club and Cotton Tree Die Hard Cricket Club.The presentation was done after the final of the Berbice Cricket Board’s (BCB) West Berbice Perry Gossai Memorial 100 Balls Tournament.RHTY&SC Secretary/CEO Hilbert Foster, who is the president of the BCB, stated that in 2019 over 200 cricket clubs, NGOs, churches, schools, sports organisations along with thousands of residents would benefit from the hard work of the 10 teams.Assistant Secretary/CEO Simon Naidu has direct responsibilities for the personal development programme, under which the RHTYSC cricketers seek to make a positive difference in the lives of youths, the elderly and the less fortunate.Foster told the two teams that the kites were to be shared to children whose parents could not afford to purchase one for them while the complete educational packages should be given to less fortunate students from single-parent households.The cricket T/shirts donation is to assist the two clubs to be properly attired.Foster also disclosed that the RHTY&SC would be working along with the BCB in 2019 to assist clubs across Berbice.Under the joint programme, clubs would receive during the course of the year items like cricket balls, cricket gear, scorebooks, white cricket shirts, trophies, cricket medals and water pitchers.All clubs would receive balls and shirts while the other items would be given to those who need assistance to make sports an alternative to a life on the road, away from drugs, crime, alcohol and gangs.Naidu, who at just 19 years has taken over the day-to-day running of Guyana’s leading youth and sports organisation, stated that RHTY&SC is the only cricket club in the Caribbean that mandates its cricketers to make a positive difference.Among the most cherished activities of the programme are providing monthly snacks to pensioners as they wait to uplift their old age pensions, monthly food hampers to senior citizens and single parent households, educational scholarship to students, medical expenses assistance to senior citizens and assistance to youths to fulfil their dream of becoming a sport ambassador.The RHTY&SC MS, Naidu stated, is one of Guyana’s leading cricket clubs but wants others to match its achievements as this would mean more youths being able to Say No to all the social ills affecting them.last_img read more