Sex-Abuse Claims Against Boy Scouts Now Surpass 81,000

first_imgTerry McKiernan, the president of BishopAccountability.org, a watchdog group that tracks abuse in the Catholic Church, said more than 9,000 victims had come forward over the years, although he believed that number represented only a small fraction of those who suffered abuse in the church.Frank Spinelli was 11 years old on Staten Island when he joined the Boy Scouts in 1978. He said his scoutmaster, a police officer named Bill Fox, began to groom him, taking him out for ice cream, pressing to have Mr. Spinelli sleep at his home and turning their conversations toward sex. It ultimately led to three years of sexual abuse, Mr. Spinelli said. But even in the organization’s early years, abuse files maintained at the Boy Scouts headquarters detailed troubles. In 1935, the organization described having files on hundreds of “degenerates” who had served as scout leaders, according to a New York Times article from the time.Lawyers, including Mr. Mones, later pressed to release some of those files in a case in Oregon, where a 2010 jury verdict held the Scouts liable for $18.5 million in punitive damages. The Oregon Supreme Court later ordered that the case records be made public.Although many of the abuse cases occurred in decades past, some states in recent years have passed laws giving older victims a chance to pursue accountability in the courts. That includes New York, which approved a one-year window that opened last year, prompting a stream of new lawsuits with defendants from organizations such as schools, the Catholic Church and the Boy Scouts.- Advertisement – From an early age, young scouts learn about obedience and loyalty, reciting an oath to stay “morally straight.” The organization has said that some 130 million Americans have gone through its programs over the years, including the likes of John F. Kennedy, the astronaut Neil Armstrong, the Civil Rights icon Ernest Green and the film director Steven Spielberg.While the Boy Scouts count some 2.2 million current members, those numbers have been on the decline from a peak of around five million in the 1970s. In 2017, the organization expanded to allow girls to participate, although that effort has frayed relationships with the Girl Scouts of the U.S.A.- Advertisement –center_img – Advertisement –last_img read more

Tokyo cuts estimated tab for 2020 Olympics to $12 billion

first_imgA cost-allocation agreement calls for the city of Tokyo and the Tokyo 2020 organizing committee to pay 600 billion yen ($5.4 billion) each. The central government will contribute 150 billion yen ($1.4 billion).The remaining 35 billion yen ($315 million) will be covered by lottery revenues, officials said.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next MOST READ OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ‘a duplicitous move’ – Lacson Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles01:24Tsukii seizes kumite Gold, focuses on making Olympics next02:26Hidilyn Diaz on pace for Tokyo 202002:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Mbala on La Salle departure: ‘It’s final’ Meralco ‘never the same’ after Almazan injury in PBA Finals The organizers said Friday that the event will cost a total 1.35 trillion yen ($11.9 billion).In their release, Tokyo 2020 officials said the U.S. dollar cost would be $12.6 billion. But at the current exchange rate of about 113 yen to the dollar it is just under $12 billion.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkWhen Tokyo won the Olympics in September 2013, its bid was for 730 billion yen. That ballooned to over 3 trillion yen but was slashed to 1.4 trillion yen after Tokyo Gov. Yuriko Koike launched a cost cutting campaign.Organizers have managed to cut still more from the estimated cost by moving some events outside of Tokyo and using existing and temporary facilities. OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ’a duplicitous move’ – Lacson TOKYO — The latest price tag for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics has been trimmed slightly, but is still nearly twice the initial estimate even after a major cost-cutting effort.ADVERTISEMENT LATEST STORIES Redemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie Thompson Tokyo’s games won’t be the priciest ever: the 2012 London Olympics cost $19 billion, compared with the bid estimate of $6.5 billion.Cities tend to exclude large amounts of associated costs when they submit a bid to host the Olympics. Such bids usually include only core components such as the main facilities so that the bids are easier to compare. Building design, security measures, transportation and other costs are largely excluded.Thomas Bach, who took over as IOC president in 2013, has sought to slash costs to entice cities to bid for future Games and minimize damage to the Olympic brand. The IOC has urged Tokyo to cut $1 billion more.The addition of five new sports after Tokyo pushed the tab up, but one of the biggest factors is rising construction costs.The budget figure announced Friday does not include a contingency fund of between 100 billion-300 billion yen ($882 million-$2.6 billion).ADVERTISEMENT Brian Heruela arrival bolsters Phoenix backcourt, defense Scottie Thompson also worthy of Finals MVP, thinks Cone View commentslast_img read more

RCMP investigate suspicious truck fire

first_imgThe Fort St. John RCMP and Fire Department are investigating truck fire early Sunday.The fire was near the intersection of 91st avenue and 91st street in Mathews Park. Initial reports suggest that the fire may have been set intentionally, as the fire started in the rear of the pickup before spreading to the cab.  Crews were able to contain the fire to pickup truck, which was completely destroyed.Witnesses near the scene believe that they saw a group of three or more youth leaving the area around the same time as the fire, but were unable to provide accurate descriptions.   Fort St. John general duty members as well as bike patrol members were unable to locate anyone in the area.- Advertisement -At this time, the police have no known suspect(s) and are asking for the public’s help in identifying the person or person’s responsible for this incident.The registered owner of the truck received minor burns to his forearm and hand while attempting to retrieve personal belongings from the truck.If you have any further information about this fire, please contact the RCMP at 250-787-8140 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 or online at www.crimestoppersfsj.ca Advertisementlast_img read more

WILD ATLANTIC WAY PASSPORTS NOW AVAILABLE AT POST OFFICES

first_imgTOURISM: The Wild Atlantic Way Passports are now available to purchase from Post Offices in Donegal. The scheme designed at encouraging visitors to return to Ireland by visiting the 188 destinations on The Wild Atlantic Way passport have been welcomed by rural Post Offices. The idea was proposed by Fáilte Ireland, An Post is confident it will drive tourists into rural Post Offices all over Ireland.The hardback booklet (see gallery above) can be stamped at 188 Discovery Points along The Wild Atlantic Way providing a unique souvenir of Ireland. Minister of State for Tourism and Sport, Patrick O’Donovan told The Irish Independent, “We want to deepen visitor engagement and encourage those who travel along the route to slow down, dwell longer and immerse themselves in the local towns and villages of the west coast.“The local Post Office is at the heart of these communities,” he added. The passports cost just €10 Visitors and who those who purchase a passport are also entered into a draw for “a holiday of a lifetime along The Wild Atlantic Way!WILD ATLANTIC WAY PASSPORTS NOW AVAILABLE AT POST OFFICES was last modified: June 1st, 2016 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:An PostBusinessFailte IrelandFeaturesnewsPassportspost officesruralThe Wild Atlantic Waytourismlast_img read more