Some US rowers fall ill at Olympics test event

first_img On July 30, the Associated Press (AP)published an indepen-dent analysis of water quality that showed high levels of viruses, and in some cases, bacteria from human sewage in all of Rio’s Olympic and Paralympic water venues, including the Rodrigo de Freitas Lagoon, where the rowing competition took place. US coach Susan Francia, a two-time Olympic gold-medal rower, said in an interview with the AP that 13 athletes and four staff members – including herself – suffered various gastrointestinal symptoms during the team’s two weeks of training in Rio. Dr Kathryn Ackerman, the US team physician, said athletes from several other countries stayed in the same hotel as the Americans, but did not seem to get as sick as her rowers. “I don’t know if it was the water bottles in the boats, or hygiene precautions that some athletes are really good about and others weren’t,” she said. Officials did not rule out that the Americans could have gotten ill from food or drinking water. “We’re not really sure. My personal feeling is, I think it’s from the lake,” Ackerman said. RIO DE JANEIRO (AP): Thirteen rowers on the 40-member United States (US) team came down with a stomach illness at the World Junior Rowing Championships – a trial run for next summer’s Olympics – and the team doctor said she suspected that it was due to pollution in the lake where the competition took place. The event took place amid rising concerns about the water quality at venues for the Rio de Janeiro Olympics, now less than a year away. The Americans were by far the hardest hit at the regatta that concluded over the weekend, with reports of vomiting and diarrhoea. Other teams in the competition reported some illnesses, according to World Rowing, the sport’s governing body, but those were about as expected at an event that featured more than 500 young rowers. poor water qualitylast_img read more

Conte not discussing Hazard, Luiz transfers

first_img0Shares0000Chelsea’s midfielder Eden Hazard has been repeatedly linked with Real due to his admiration for Madrid boss Zinedine Zidane © AFP/File / Glyn KIRKLONDON, United Kingdom, Dec 8 – Antonio Conte batted away questions over the future of Real-Madrid linked pair Eden Hazard and David Luiz on Friday, saying his focus was on beating struggling West Ham to close the gap at the top of the Premier League.Chelsea visit the London Stadium on Saturday, trailing Manchester City by 11 points and with a three-point deficit to second-placed Manchester United, who host the leaders on Sunday. Luiz is out with a knee injury, having initially been dropped following the 3-0 loss at Roma on October 31. He has appeared once since, at Qarabag, and Conte has previously angrily rebuffed suggestions of a fallout.The Italian opted not to answer when asked about the prospect of the Brazilian leaving in January.“There is a lot of games before the transfer window. Now I think is not the right moment to speak about this,” said Conte. “Now this is not important.”On Hazard, who has been repeatedly linked with Real due to his admiration for Madrid boss Zinedine Zidane, Conte said: “It’s important to be focused on this moment. Then when there is the right moment, I try to answer this question.”Conte’s focus is on trying to keep pace with City at the top of the table.“It’s very difficult to see two defeats in a row for a great team,” he said. “At the same time Manchester United can beat Manchester City.”Danny Drinkwater is out after the midfielder missed three days of training through illness, while there are “two or three” undisclosed doubts.“The best result is to win against West Ham and then anything can happen in the Manchester derby,” Conte said.“For me the best result is our result, to try to win in a difficult game.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more