Jose Luis Gaya 1 Chelsea are lining up a January swoop for Valencia left-back Jose Gaya.Jose Mourinho wants to add another left-sided defender to his ranks with Cesar Azpilicueta expected to be shifted to right-back to replace the out-of-form Branislav Ivanovic.Chelsea did sign full-back Baba Rahman in the summer but it is understood that Mourinho is still not completely satisfied with his defensive options.According to Sport, Chelsea will have to pay £35m to trigger the player’s release clause and could face competition from Premier League rivals Manchester City.The 20-year-old was subject to interest from a number of top European clubs in the summer but decided to stay at the Mestalla to compete in the Champions League with Valencia.
Jose Mourinho’s Chelsea exit boiled down to “palpable discord” with his Stamford Bridge squad, according to Blues board member Michael Emenalo.Chelsea parted company with Mourinho on Thursday after two days of crisis board meetings, with Guus Hiddink the front-runner to slot in as interim boss.Blues chiefs insisted Mourinho had left the club “by mutual consent”, just seven months after lifting the Premier League title.And Chelsea’s technical director Emenalo insisted club bosses do not accept accusations the Blues’ players had any underhand role by trying to undermine Mourinho.“Whilst there is huge sentiment for the individual who has done so much for the club, the fact of the matter remains that Chelsea Football Club is in trouble,” Emenalo told Chelsea TV.“The results are not good. There obviously seems to be palpable discord between manager and players, and we feel it was time to act.“The owner is forced to make what was a very tough decision for the good of the club.“Make no mistake about it, Chelsea Football Club is one of the biggest clubs in the world, is one point above relegation in the English Premier League and that’s not good enough.“Anyone who loves the club, who has any kind of affiliation to the club, can understand that this club is in trouble, and something needed to be done.”Mourinho’s departure has centred around nine defeats in 16 league games this term, a shocking descent into the relegation mire.The messy September exit of Dr Eva Carneiro, now taking action against the club, after being branded “naive” by Mourinho in August, has been viewed externally as causing extra unrest.Former Arsenal midfielder Cesc Fabregas was forced to fend off rumours of dressing room revolts against Mourinho earlier in the season.Now Emenalo has further backed Chelsea’s players, insisting none of the Stamford Bridge squad had any part to play in Mourinho’s exit.The Blues are said to favour Italy manager Antonio Conte as their top choice for a long-term appointment, but his contract runs until after Euro 2016. Bayern Munich’s Pep Guardiola – long admired by Abramovich – is also a certain contender. Whether he is interested remains to be seen as the prepares to announce his future plans.First-team coach Steve Holland could take charge of Saturday’s home Premier League clash with Sunderland, to hand the Blues board more time to complete the search for Mourinho’s short-term replacement.Former Holland manager Hiddink took interim charge at Chelsea in 2009 after the sacking of Luiz Felipe Scolari, and could now reprise his caretaker role in west London, and talkSPORT understands it could be confirmed as soon as this evening.“This is essentially the same group of players who won the league and the league cup last season,” said Emenalo.“They did it in style, and they did it by showing commitment, and by sweat and blood, tears and blood for the club, when needed.“They play to instruction, they adhere to everything the manager asked them to do.“So I think it’s very easy to make that inference (that the players helped caused Mourinho’s exit) but it’s not one that the club accepts.“Obviously we know now that the players have a responsibility to go out and prove everyone wrong, and show a certain level of commitment to the decision that’s been made tonight, to try to get the club up the league table.“That’s what they have to do, that’s what they were supposed to do, and I believe that’s what they’ve been trying to do.” 1 Jose Mourinho
Alex Iwobi revealed he has been told to pull his socks up by Arsenal assistant manager Steve Bould.The youngster often wears the garments low on his shin during games and has admitted the former centre back has advised him to wear them higher to match his team-mates.Iwobi said: “The manager [Arsene Wenger] hasn’t said anything about my socks but Steve Bould just did. He says that I should pull them up but I’m just comfortable like that. It’s just the way I play.“As long as I play well I don’t think he minds though.”
Gary Cahill is confident Chelsea can cope in the absence of injured captain John Terry.The 35-year-old missed Tuesday’s 2-1 Champions League last-16 loss at Paris St Germain with a hamstring complaint, which could yet keep him out of Sunday’s FA Cup fifth-round tie with Manchester CityTerry’s next appearance will be his 700th for Chelsea, who maintain a contract offer might be forthcoming after the defender revealed he would be leaving Stamford Bridge when his deal expires at the end of the season.With Kurt Zouma also absent due to a season-ending knee injury, Cahill partnered Branislav Ivanovic at centre-back and the pair performed well, despite PSG ending the Blues’ 12-match unbeaten run.“I played with Iva in the Premier League and in the (2013 Europa League final) and was successful, so I don’t see it being a problem if John’s not available,” Cahill said on espnfc.com.“Ideally we would have everyone available, all our strongest players.“Let’s see with John. But I’ve played with Iva in big games before, so I don’t see it being a problem.”Edinson Cavani earned PSG victory in the first leg at Parc des Princes as the teams met in the Champions League for a third straight season.Away goals have proved the difference in the last two years – Chelsea won the quarter-final tie in 2014 and PSG advanced to the last eight 12 months ago – and John Obi Mikel hopes his strike can be decisive in the March 9 return leg at Stamford Bridge.The midfielder’s sixth goal in 358 Chelsea appearances cancelled out Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s free-kick opener, which deflected off the Nigerian, before Cavani struck.“I think it’s going to prove a big goal,” Mikel told Chelsea TV. “Hopefully the goal that puts us through in the tie.“If we can get 1-0 back home, we’re through. I think we’re still alive.”Chelsea’s away goal might have come sooner only for a Diego Costa header to be well saved by goalkeeper Kevin Trapp.“I think we deserved more, we deserved to get a draw or win the game,” Mikel added.“We came out here to play football and I think we’ve done that. I think we put in a very good performance.“We defended when we had to and played when we had to. It was a very difficult game, but one we really did well in.“We had Iva to play centre-back and Gaz (Cahill), who has not been playing for a while. They did fantastically well.“First goal, big deflection from me. The second goal as well, I don’t know… After the first goal we came back strong and got the equaliser.”Ivanovic reckons Chelsea must keep a clean sheet to advance.“We all hope (Mikel’s goal) is going to be massive for us,” the Serbia defender said.“(But) we have to concentrate. We know we have to play defensively a perfect game at home to go through.”Chelsea goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois made a number of fine saves before being beaten by Cavani and PSG may rue not adding to their tally.Ibrahimovic is confident they will go through if they can repeat their display in London – sentiments echoed by midfielder Blaise Matuidi.“We played really well,” Matuidi told the club’s official website.“Perhaps we can regret not getting that third goal, but we are more disappointed with conceding that goal just before half-time.“We won this first round, even if that Chelsea goal is a potential danger, but we know we are good enough to qualify.” Gary Cahill 1
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREChargers go winless in AFC West with season-ending loss in Kansas CityIn statements Friday, each side accused the other of intransigence and expressed frustration at the sluggish pace of negotiations. The writers’ contract expires Oct. 31. Studios and TV networks have accelerated filming of shows and movies and begun stockpiling scripts in case of a strike. The last strike in 1988 lasted 22 weeks, and losses to the industry were put at $500million. The sticking points include a proposal to delay paying residuals on movies and TV shows until producers have recouped their costs, guild negotiators said. The guild also is proposing doubling payments on profits made from DVD sales and providing union pay and benefits to writers working in reality television and on basic cable shows. The two sides also remain far apart when it comes to setting pay for reality TV shows, and for work distributed online and to portable devices such as cell phones. The studios say they need time to determine which models of digital distribution are likely to be profitable. “We have had six across-the-table sessions and have been met with only silence and stonewalling,” said J. Nicholas Counter III, president of the motion picture alliance. “The WGA leadership is hidebound to strike. We are farther apart today than when we started, and the only outcome we see is a disaster,” he said. The writers decried the plan for residual payments. “Our members will not stand for that,” the guild said. “The entertainment industry is successful and growing like never before. Writers, whose creativity is at the heart of that success and growth, are committed to sharing in it.”160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! CONTRACTS: The sluggish pace has led TV studios to begin preparing for a strike. By The Associated Press Talks between Hollywood writers and studios abruptly broke off for the weekend, dimming hopes of averting a strike that could cripple the television industry. The Writers Guild of America has been in talks since July with studios represented by the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers. Negotiations lasted only about an hour on Friday and were not scheduled to resume until Tuesday.
12:30 p.m.Nextel Cup Pep Boys Auto 500 (taped)ESPN2 Times may be different for satellite TV viewers; consult your guide. TV INDEX: CBS (Ch. 2); NBC (Ch. 4); KTLA (Ch. 5); ABC (Ch. 7); KCAL (Ch. 9); Fox (Ch. 11); KCOP (Ch. 13); KWHY (Ch. 22); KVMD (Ch. 23); KPXN (Ch. 30); KMEX (Ch. 34); KFTR (Ch. 46); KVEA (Ch. 52); KAZA (Ch. 54); KDOC (Ch. 56); KJLA (Ch. 57); KLCS (Ch. 58); CSTV (College Sports Television); ESPNC (ESPN Classic); FSC (Fox Soccer Channel); FSE (Fox Sports En Espa ol); FSN (Fox Sports Net West); NFL (NFL Network); Prime (Fox Sports Net Prime Ticket); Speed (Speed Channel); Show (Showtime); Tennis (Tennis Channel); TNT (Turner Network Television). RADIO INDEX: XSUR (540 AM); KLAC (570 AM); KRLH (590 AM); KOGO (600 AM); KIRN (670 AM); XTRA (690 AM); KSPN (710 AM); KLAA (830 AM); KIIS (850 AM); KRLA (870 AM); KFWB (980 AM); KTNQ (1020 AM); KNX (1070 AM); XPRS (1090 AM); KDIS (1110 AM); KSDP (1130 AM); KTLK (1150 AM); KXMX (1190 AM); KWKU (1220 AM); KKGO (1260 AM); KWKW (1330 AM); KPOP (1360 AM); KSPA (1510 AM); CASH (1700 AM); KLSX (97.1 FM). ———
The Donegal property market could be starting to show some real signs if the latest Allsop Property auction is anything to go by.Four properties in Donegal sold on Tuesday and all for above the reserve price.The properties which included an industrial unit and three houses – went under the hammer at the RDS on Tuesday. They included 4,000 sq.ft. warehouse unit at Thorn Road in Letterkenny, which had a reserve of €50,000 but sold for €90,000.All three of the houses, which were listed with reserves of €60,000 fared equally well.A three-bedroom semi-detached house containing a two bedroom apartment with separate access at Beinn Aoibhinn, Gortlee, Letterkenny sold for €117,000.A 1,600 sq.ft. detached four-bedroom dormer bungalow at Tirloughan, Carrigart went for €82,500; and a 1,500sq.ft. four bedroom detached house at Lawnsdale, Ballybofey sold for €88,000 Robert Hoban of Allsop Space said Donegal sales were really beginning to pick up.“We’re delighted to see that level of activity. With a high number of overseas bidders, it’s also great to see that all but one of the Donegal properties were sold to local people, while the Carrigart house was bought by someone in Monaghan.” LATEST ALLSOP AUCTION SUGGESTS DONEGAL PROPERTIES ON THE UP AND UP was last modified: February 27th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Allsop auctiondonegalfor salehousesRDS
1 Wes Morgan was the surprise scorer as Leicester were 1-0 winners against Southampton The Leicester City story goes on and football fans still cannot believe it. Claudio Ranieri’s Foxes beat Southampton 1-0 on Sunday to extend their lead at the top to seven points, thanks to Wes Morgan’s second-half header.As they capitalised on Tottenham dropping points against Liverpool, the East Midlands outfit are now 11 points clear of third-placed Arsenal. This time last year, Leicester were seven points adrift of safety and now they are leading the way, deservedly so. See some of the best fan reaction, below: [View the story “Leicester City edge closer to Premier League title” on Storify]
160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! A Torrance man was found guilty today of beating his stepfather – a popular Harbor College baseball coach – to death with a dumbbell, kicking him with steel-toed boots and stabbing him six times in the neck. Ashton Hurst, 36, showed no emotion as a Torrance Superior Court clerk read a jury’s verdict convicting him of one count of first-degree murder in the Feb. 8, 2005, killing of Robert Gauci, 44. Hurst faces 25 years to life in prison. The decision came after just a day and a half of deliberations following five weeks of testimony. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREJurors said they did not believe Hurst’s self-defense claim that he killed his stepfather to stop a sexual advance. “There were no winners in this,” said one juror, a 48-year-old Torrance construction worker. “It was two families torn apart.” email@example.com
TOURISM: The Wild Atlantic Way Passports are now available to purchase from Post Offices in Donegal. The scheme designed at encouraging visitors to return to Ireland by visiting the 188 destinations on The Wild Atlantic Way passport have been welcomed by rural Post Offices. The idea was proposed by Fáilte Ireland, An Post is confident it will drive tourists into rural Post Offices all over Ireland.The hardback booklet (see gallery above) can be stamped at 188 Discovery Points along The Wild Atlantic Way providing a unique souvenir of Ireland. Minister of State for Tourism and Sport, Patrick O’Donovan told The Irish Independent, “We want to deepen visitor engagement and encourage those who travel along the route to slow down, dwell longer and immerse themselves in the local towns and villages of the west coast.“The local Post Office is at the heart of these communities,” he added. The passports cost just €10 Visitors and who those who purchase a passport are also entered into a draw for “a holiday of a lifetime along The Wild Atlantic Way!WILD ATLANTIC WAY PASSPORTS NOW AVAILABLE AT POST OFFICES was last modified: June 1st, 2016 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:An PostBusinessFailte IrelandFeaturesnewsPassportspost officesruralThe Wild Atlantic Waytourism